Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Game gear brightness issue

Reply to topic
Sega Game gear brightness issue
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:47 pm
Recently dug out my old game gear, had it sitting a while in a box with out use, luckily with out batteries, put some batteries in, and had no power. so did a bit of reading, and checked the capacitors, a few had gone bad, so got a capacitor rebuild kit and set about changing them.

Everything has gone good except one bit. the game gear cuts out if the brightness is set too high and you have to view it at an angle to play it.

I thought it might be the brightness potentiometer, so swapped that out for the only one i could find online for its rough specifications, 50k ohm but it was 3 pins, with a bit of wiggling i managed to mount 2 of the pins and use a wire with the 3rd, unfortunately this still gives me the same issue. brightness setting too high shuts the console off.

A search online has turned up nothing but the usual "change capacitors", but ive already done this.

Is there anything else ive missed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh and hello by the way :)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:10 pm
I know, this is no real help for fixing your problem, but I got this mod and it is very good. You can turn off scaling and get a perfect picture on the GG. He also offered me very good help via email.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/15585-NewMod35LCDReplacementBoardGameGearWithVGAF...
Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:39 am
That LCD screen looks awesome, but id like to keep it original, im thinking its something to do with one of the capacitors still, but not sure, so ive ordered another capacitor kit.

Guess ill be changing them all again.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 am
Have you done the caps on the power supply board as well?
Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 pm
wasup wrote
Have you done the caps on the power supply board as well?

No, the power board is fine, i placed the main board in another gamegear and its still the same, yet that game gear works flawlessly with its original powerboard, its most certainly something to do with the main board its self
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!