Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - call for test: tms9918 mode 3 on gg/sms/sg

Reply to topic
call for test: tms9918 mode 3 on gg/sms/sg
Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:41 pm
i coded a small test using tms9918 mode 3 for testing on gamegear, sms (i guess mark-III only, i didn't fix the sms header checksum yet, lazyness... :S ) and sg1000, specially on real hardware (via everdrive) - i don't know how they will look or behave, and how it will differ from emulators - if someone can test, please share some feedback

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am
btw, this call is actually important - we that are developing homebrew stuff and emulators are curious to know how accurate and compatible is what we are developing - if anyone here uses everdrive and can help us, please let us know
call for gamegear-everdrive test again (tms9918 mode3)
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 pm
Hi again!

I'd ask for gamegear-everdrive users to try this .gg file - it would display a parrot in tms9918 in mode 3. (like this: http://imageshack.com/a/img59/3897/suwq.png )

This feedback is really important, not only for homebrew developers like us, as for emulator (such as Emulicious and Mess) developers frequently here as well.

Btw, the file is "hybrid", runs as .sg on sg1000 emulation and as .sms on mark-3 emulation

Thanks a lot! :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:44 pm
You might get a better response with some patience instead of constantly reminding people how URGENT this is.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:24 pm
you're right, thanks! ;)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:38 pm
I will at some point but my collection is in a messy state at the moment.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 am
I'd *really* love to help with this, but my GG barely works anymore because of that capacitor thing. I never used the GG-pro cartridge I bought, either.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 am
FWIW, if you need to test, SMS Plus has full support for all TMS9918 modes (including undocumented modes) for both the Game Gear and SMS. The TMS9918 support was developed by extensive testing on a real Game Gear and SMS. A Windows binary is here:

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/new/sp-070311-win.zip

Your test programs all work/look fine, though the colors for the Game Gear ROM look slightly different than the colors used by the SMS. The fixed TMS9918 palette used by the SMS (as expressed in terms of SMS CRAM values) is as follows:

uint8 tms_crom[] =
{
    0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x0C,
    0x10, 0x30, 0x01, 0x3C,
    0x02, 0x03, 0x05, 0x0F,
    0x04, 0x33, 0x15, 0x3F
};

You could use this data to make an equivalent Game Gear TMS9918 palette that would closely match the palette used by the SMS in the TMS9918 modes.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm
I tried example01.sms on my 50Hz-PAL SMS 1 through my SMS Everdrive, it seems to work :)
parrot.gif (105.04 KB)
parrot.gif

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 pm
thanks a lot, everyone! :)

@vingazole: thanks for the photo, great seeing that is working as i expected! :)

@CharlesMacDonald: thanks for the SmsPlus emulator, that from the attachment works fine on Wine! :) - and thanks for the palette, i actually wanted to use, on GameGear, something more closer to sg1000's tms9918 palette (which i picked from a palette that i found online, and adjusted that for that 12bit colourspace used on GameGear), and yes, i could use there from SMS or MSX2 (curious that i used that 9bit MSX2 palette for years in picture converters instead of the original tms9918 from SG1000/Colecovision/MSX1, shame on me! :D )

btw, later i hope being able to code some examples or games, with sources, minimally decent for being indexed or hosted at http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew , can it be? i'm really curious on making these experiments, and sharing the sources i used on them! :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:26 pm
Our goal is to host all Sega 8-bit homebrew here, although these days there are many things missing and a bunch of uninteresting/buggy things that maybe we don't care about. I suggest you should release interesting things and we will be happy to host them, you can even upload yourself if you like.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 pm
Maxim wrote
Our goal is to host all Sega 8-bit homebrew here, although these days there are many things missing and a bunch of uninteresting/buggy things that maybe we don't care about. I suggest you should release interesting things and we will be happy to host them, you can even upload yourself if you like.

thanks! i don't know if this is a good one: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B7Iw8X7IB4-nNndudFpQVm9SazQ (please let me know if it opens fine) - from this parrot example, i converted a video from youtube (a bit like what Haroldoop did for SMS), from an old (2003) video reel from Justin Harder ( ) - because the video lenght and that (i guess) 1mbyte paging limit of GameGear and/or Everdrive (i have to test it, since teoretically the limit is 4mbyte, like ascii16 paging format on msx roms?), i had to limit it into 6fps for having the whole video there.

(btw, you said that we can uploade ourself? where and how? )

(@vingazole i don't know if you can test this one as well! ;) (like if it performs too fast or too slow compared to the original video) - thanks! )
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:22 pm
The Google Drive link doesn't work for me.

We can grant edit rights to people who we think are trustable :) who can then create pages on the site.

Everdrive seems to have a 1MB limit. In theory you could try to stream data from the SD card and have ~2GB videos, but that would be hard...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:05 pm
Maxim wrote
The Google Drive link doesn't work for me.
We can grant edit rights to people who we think are trustable :) who can then create pages on the site.

failure from me, i forgot where we change "everyone with the link can edit", please try now

Everdrive seems to have a 1MB limit.

i'm really curious about testing these limits - on the MSX, the ascii16 paging mode, somehow similar with the usual from SMS and GG (16kb pages), we can access 4mb, like what i used on the Little Nemo slideshow at http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZX_BASIC:Released_Programs_-_MSX - i wonder why Everdrive, or SMS/GG paging only accept 6 bits for paging - do you know the reasons?

In theory you could try to stream data from the SD card and have ~2GB videos, but that would be hard...

accessing the whole sd card? really interesting... how are the files or information accessed from there? i imagine we could also develop games, demos, or whatever, being that large! awesome! :O
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 pm
nitrofurano wrote

(@vingazole i don't know if you can test this one as well! ;) (like if it performs too fast or too slow compared to the original video) - thanks! )

It's pretty hard to synchronize the video from YouTube and the program on the SMS, but the speeds seem to match :)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 pm
vingazole wrote
nitrofurano wrote

It's pretty hard to synchronize the video from YouTube and the program on the SMS, but the speeds seem to match :)

thanks! :) it seems far enough, i was counting with more discrepancy like twice as fast or slow, or more! :) (i actually used a bc decrement delay, not halt on vbl - my shameful laziness, i still need to have all my examples better organized for easing copying code parts from one another... :S )
Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 pm
btw, i updated https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B7Iw8X7IB4-nNndudFpQVm9SazQ - added a version of the mode3 "video", using a different gamegear palette in each frame (i guess it doesn't work fine on mastersystem/mark3 because of this)

btw @vingazole , later i'll try to code more tests specifically or hybrid to mastersystem/mark3 , specially focusing on the "undocumented" tms9918 modes
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 am
Could you upload the files on the forum instead of using GoogleDrive? We'd prefer if the files were guaranteed to stay available to users many years onward.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:31 pm
Bock wrote
Could you upload the files on the forum instead of using GoogleDrive? We'd prefer if the files were guaranteed to stay available to users many years onward.

i were afraid they were too large - btw, on the Karoshi msx forum you actually only get error messages when you upload files into messages...
Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:32 pm
(let's try this one....)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm
(and this one...)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:48 pm
Yeah, you'll blow your quota pretty quickly that way :) I suggest you update attachments in the first post for this kind of thing. Neither of these seem to work in Meka.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:25 pm
btw, the homebrew link of the last attachment is at http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/JustinHarderReel-GG - i also indexed it at http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZX_BASIC:Released_Programs_-_GameGear#Ju... - more info about Justin Harder's work can be find at http://www.justinharder.la and http://vimeo.com/harder
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!