SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - About the FM mod

Reply to topic
ApolloBoy
About the FM mod
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:23 pm
OK, so I just got a Yamaha PSR-6 keyboard a few days ago for the YM2413 chip, and right now I'm looking at the schematics for the FM mod and I'm a bit confused. Do I simply wire the chip to existing components on the PCB (I don't have my SMS opened up at the moment so I can't tell) with some extra resistors and logic chips, or do I do something else?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:04 pm
ApolloBoy wrote
OK, so I just got a Yamaha PSR-6 keyboard a few days ago for the YM2413 chip, and right now I'm looking at the schematics for the FM mod and I'm a bit confused. Do I simply wire the chip to existing components on the PCB (I don't have my SMS opened up at the moment so I can't tell) with some extra resistors and logic chips, or do I do something else?

You would want to mount the components on a prototyping board - this is a small PCB with a copper layer on one side and holes drilled in it at .050" intervals. The idea is that you put the parts on the blank side, and the pins stick through on the copper side. You can then solder them securely in place, and use wire links to make all the connections. Last time I checked Radio Shack had something like this for under $5 US. I'd highly recommend socketing the YM2413 rather than soldering it in place, so if anything goes wrong during construction the YM2413 won't be damaged.

Afterwards you would solder some wires (as short as possible) from your board to the various points on the SMS PCB where the signals come from (D0-D7, etc.). In fact all the signals you need are on the expansion port, it may be worth it to get a card edge connector that fits the expansion port and then solder the wires from your PCB to the connector, rather than directly to the SMS PCB.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:10 pm
Charles MacDonald wrote
ApolloBoy wrote

You would want to mount the components on a prototyping board - this is a small PCB with a copper layer on one side and holes drilled in it at .050" intervals. The idea is that you put the parts on the blank side, and the pins stick through on the copper side. You can then solder them securely in place, and use wire links to make all the connections. Last time I checked Radio Shack had something like this for under $5 US. I'd highly recommend socketing the YM2413 rather than soldering it in place, so if anything goes wrong during construction the YM2413 won't be damaged.

Afterwards you would solder some wires (as short as possible) from your board to the various points on the SMS PCB where the signals come from (D0-D7, etc.). In fact all the signals you need are on the expansion port, it may be worth it to get a card edge connector that fits the expansion port and then solder the wires from your PCB to the connector, rather than directly to the SMS PCB.

Ah, I see. Now what could I use to make the connector for the expansion port?
Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 pm
Ah, I see. Now what could I use to make the connector for the expansion port?

I used this connector (no longer in stock) when I developed my SMS cartridge reader:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&sto...

It's designed to be mounted onto a circuit board, you'd probably want the kind with eyelets you can stick a wire through and solder in place.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:41 am
There are a couple of hardware hackers here in Brazil who are about to release some PCBs with sockets for the FM chip, ready to be put inside the SMS - I'm already on the list to buy one, I know I could do it myself, but I'm lazy. I'll check if they'll accept orders from abroad and post any updates here, if anyone is interested.

We were also talking with these guys about making some flash carts, but I don't know if they can match the Tototek carts in price - I kind of doubt it.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:49 pm
Are you talking abour Projetos MSX? They know hardware, and they seem to have a supply of YM2413 chips.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:42 am
No, they guys I'm talking about will be sourcing the YM from Projetos MSX (which is really one guy, Ademir Carchano, nice fellow). There are seems to be a source for a YM clone here in São Paulo, I'll have to check the details on that though. The board will be compatible with both the original YM and the clone - there seems to be a slight pin incompatibility between the two.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:25 am
Quick update here: Since I'm still confused about the mod, I've decided instead to buy a Japanese SMS and the SMS>Mark III adapter from ToToTEK. I may consider selling the YM2413, since I spent about $40 on that keyboard I removed it from.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:55 pm
ApolloBoy wrote
the SMS>Mark III adapter from ToToTEK
http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8714
Why was this thread unstickied? D:
Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:59 pm
Tom wrote
ApolloBoy wrote
the SMS>Mark III adapter from ToToTEK
http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8714
Why was this thread unstickied? D:

Well, as much as I'd like to support SMS Power, I've noticed that the Gender Adapter isn't compatible with games like Rastan and Out Run, which pretty much breaks it for me. I'll probably email ToToTEK about their adapter and check out the compatibility on it. I'm guessing it doesn't work with Wanted, Walter Payton Football/American Pro Football and Rescue Mission.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:16 pm
jagripino, are you a signer of Canal 3? Does the SMS YM project belongs to there? Could you tell us (or me, through pvt) the link for that project's page, or its owner's email? I am very interested on this!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!