SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Gslib and z88dk

Reply to topic
Gslib and z88dk
Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:28 am
Ummmm....

So i began a new project, and i have been trying to use the latest sdcc, latest smslib, latest gslib.

It does not work at all :( as It seems my engine functions compile the bad way and black screen with FOREVER loops Out of my Code :(

Also i see the zx7 functions are unsafe and the program fails uncompressing tiles.

So back to my loved z88dk from september. But... I have tryed to build gslib demo and gslib libre and the compiler launch strange errors in ASM Code. Maybe Mainly related to labels, but i have not been able to Fix a simple one of these....

So.... Someone with ASM knowledge could try to compile gslib.c and check Whats going on?

Regards
Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 am
eruiz00 wrote
Also i see the zx7 functions are unsafe and the program fails uncompressing tiles.

did you try loading ZX7 compressed tiles with screen off?
Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 pm
No i didnt. Didnt know i could use these functions with screen off. In fact, in Silver valley and galáctic revenge i dont turn off the screen (i Suppose the Safe zx7 functions from z88dk are enough) i Will try this weekend.

More interesting to me is the fact that while gslib compiles un sdcc, It does not in z88dk due to compile time errors… and not at runtime. I though z88dk was using sdcc too!
Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 am
UNSAFE functions can be used only when screen is off or during vblank, if you're sure it won't take longer than that.

If you really need a VRAM *safe* version of the zx7 decompressor, I can try making one - it will be quite slow as 26 cycles need to be wasted waiting between setting the VRAM *read* address and the actual byte read operation to ensure VDP is sync'ed - this for each single byte.
Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:29 am
Hey,

I rushed version 1 out in case someone wanted to use it for this years comp, it does some pretty nasty things to get it working with sdcc and I am not surprised z88dk would choke on it.

I learned a lot with the original version and in retrospect am not happy with it at all, v2 is in the works and has many additions and improvements and syncs much better with how games are developed for old systems.

So at this point I would not recommend the use of the scroll library. I have been working on v2 but life has thrown me a few curve balls this year and have not been able to finish it up, I hope to have it ready for the end of the year.

Really hoping to get it out soonish,
Psidum.
Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 pm
Dont worry psidium. I Hope you Will have time to rework the library :)

I al searching for a faster library than my scrolling routine and though on use the library on the new project. Also i am learning a little Z80 assembly to write myself the functions.which i feel more heavy.

A new project is in the work. I Hope to finish a good game… and different from my previous ones!
Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 am
eruiz00 wrote
But... I have tryed to build gslib demo and gslib libre and the compiler launch strange errors in ASM Code. Maybe Mainly related to labels, but i have not been able to Fix a simple one of these....

The problem is probably that there are comments in the inlined asm. sdcc does not produce standard zilog asm so in z88dk it has to pass through a translation step to turn it into something that can be consumed by z88dk's assembler (z80asm). The inlined asm, being in the c, gets passed through the translation too and it doesn't cope with comments well.

I can add this to z88dk as well. There are a number of ways to improve the interface and configure the library. It looks like there may be a git repository somewhere? Or is it private and the zip is the latest version?

Edit: Adding the link in case I lose it http://www.smspower.org/forums/16800-GeneralScrollLibraryGSLib
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!