Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Looking to get a team of developers to create a high quality SMS game

Reply to topic
Looking to get a team of developers to create a high quality SMS game
Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 pm
In my thread "Want to develop a Game Gear game," I was looking to create a simple platformer. I've changed that idea a bit. Now, I'm looking to get some people from this awesome community to work together on an amazing new video game for The Sega Master System. Here's what I'm looking for. I've come up with a plot for the game. I'll create the graphics for it as well, but I might need help converting the files of course. What I need help with is creating the actual game, adding collision detection, jump physics, and all the other stuff you'd see in games like Shinobi or Sonic. Think of it this way, if enough of you are interested, we could possibly create a game so good, it could compare to Alex Kidd for quality. Maybe my idea is too wild, but maybe some of you would like to give the project a shot.

This is the basic story line. The game's characters are inspired by my pets and brother's dog. The characters are Piggy, the main character and my Guinea Pig. Piggy can attack by jumping on an enemy or biting them. Petra, my mom's Rabbit who is kidnapped and must be rescued. Mac, the first boss fight. Mac was my dog, but sadly, died last year. Scout, the second boss fight and Mac's younger brother. Both dog's are Shih Tzus by the way. Torque, the final boss and main enemy who kidnapped Petra. Torque is my brother's husky. In this game, Torque will be male, but in real life, she's actually female. Each level takes place in a different part of the city of Winnipeg. As Piggy goes through each level, there will be rats for him to fight. Some levels will feature Piggy in the sewers fighting a large group of rats as a mini boss fight. Any more info needed will be posted if I can get some people together to develop this.

Anyways, I would appreciate it if anyone could help. Please let me know what you can help me with. Thanks. P.S. If this works, we should come up with a name for our team of developers.
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:44 am
Most people that can program are busy with their own development..maybe try http://emulicious.net/kidded/.
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:52 am
OmegaPrime wrote
Most people that can program are busy with their own development..maybe try http://emulicious.net/kidded/.
Thanks, I'll give this a try.
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:34 pm
Game Gear wrote
Each level takes place in a different part of the city of Winnipeg.

The memories... :)

Said that, I guess you can try putting together a team, but probably you'll first have to show what you can provide to the team, in terms of commitment and technical level. A programmer can make a demo and seek for artists/musicians, an artist/musician should show his work if he's seeking for programmers...
... or you team up with your personal friends, which is somehow simpler :)
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:42 pm
sverx wrote
Game Gear wrote
Each level takes place in a different part of the city of Winnipeg.

The memories... :)

Said that, I guess you can try putting together a team, but probably you'll first have to show what you can provide to the team, in terms of commitment and technical level. A programmer can make a demo and seek for artists/musicians, an artist/musician should show his work if he's seeking for programmers...
... or you team up with your personal friends, which is somehow simpler :)
The only thing I can do so far is create all the graphics and music. I still haven't learned how to code a simple game yet. Also, my friends don't even know what a Master System is. I tried the KiddEd program, but changing the sprites confuses me. Basically, if anyone's still interested, I'll begin creating the sprites and stuff.
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:50 pm
If you give me some sprites and level graphics, I could set them up in KiddEd for you and build you some kind of test level, to show you, what can be done with KiddEd and to give you some kind of start.
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:03 pm
badsector wrote
If you give me some sprites and level graphics, I could set them up in KiddEd for you and build you some kind of test level, to show you, what can be done with KiddEd and to give you some kind of start.
I'll get to work on it
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:37 pm
Please only use colors of the Master System palette! You could buy aseprite, because on the one hand it is a very useful tool to pixel your graphics and on the other hand it already has some default palettes (like the one of the Master System).

http://www.aseprite.org/

Also please remember, that the graphics consist of 8x8 tiles. And don't forget to have a look at the sprite editor of KiddEd to see, how many animation frames each move of the main character has. The enemies mostly have one or two frames of animation.
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 pm
badsector wrote
Please only use colors of the Master System palette! You could buy aseprite, because on the one hand it is a very useful tool to pixel your graphics and on the other hand it already has some default palettes (like the one of the Master System).

http://www.aseprite.org/

Also please remember, that the graphics consist of 8x8 tiles. And don't forget to have a look at the sprite editor of KiddEd to see, how many animation frames each move of the main character has. The enemies mostly have one or two frames of animation.
How big can sprites be?
Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 pm
You should have a look at the sprite editor how big the enemies can be (they differ in size). The main character can use 6 tiles. So for example: 16x24 pixels. But you can actually arrange them like you want to. For the attack frame you can use one more tile, some frames can only use 5 tiles. Maybe you should sketch some designs first and then we can try out everything.
Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:44 pm
Ichigo? Kagesan? Where you guys, come on let´s help this guy! Everything else can wait.

Unfortunately I´m not a programmer but damn I wish you good luck to find some programmers for your project!

PS: Thanks bad sector for helping him out.
Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:29 pm
Gordman wrote
Ichigo? Kagesan? Where you guys, come on let´s help this guy! Everything else can wait.

Unfortunately I´m not a programmer but damn I wish you good luck to find some programmers for your project!

PS: Thanks bad sector for helping him out.
Thanks Gordman. Yeah, I mean, I'll use KiddEd if I have to, but if someone (preferably more than one) out there can help me create a project from scratch, I would be happier than the day I got a free Alienware m17x. Thanks badsector for helping me. If I don't get the team, then I'll continue with KiddEd. I created the first sprite. I just gotta create a few more.
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:43 am
Would you like show your first sprite?
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:29 pm
badsector wrote
Would you like show your first sprite?

I was going to ask the same question.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:18 pm
The app I used to make the sprite is crap and I don't have the sprite anymore. I'm giving up on the project to just play the SMS/GG games already available.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply. I've been gone for awhile and forgot about the forum.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:23 pm
That is not the right spirit for creating a great game, but since you gave up it does not matter anymore, I guess.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm
badsector wrote
That is not the right spirit for creating a great game, but since you gave up it does not matter anymore, I guess.

I might come back to it in the future once I've learned enough about coding for the SMS. Right now, all I've done is the Hello World program. At the moment, I'm happy with just collecting Sega consoles (currently looking for a Dreamcast, Saturn, and Master System). I will code this game when I have time (when I'm not doing homework) and when I know how to code more than just a simple game for the console.

P.S. If anyone here would like to use my idea for a game and code it for themselves, go right ahead.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:27 pm
Game Gear wrote
badsector wrote

I might come back to it in the future once I've learned enough about coding for the SMS. Right now, all I've done is the Hello World program. At the moment, I'm happy with just collecting Sega consoles (currently looking for a Dreamcast, Saturn, and Master System). I will code this game when I have time (when I'm not doing homework) and when I know how to code more than just a simple game for the console.

P.S. If anyone here would like to use my idea for a game and code it for themselves, go right ahead.

You could probably do something with BasiEgaXorz for the Sega Genesis http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/basiegaxorz/ if you took the time to learn BASIC.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!