Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 8-bit Japanese text encoding

Reply to topic
8-bit Japanese text encoding
Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 pm
After digging out the credits for Headbuster, I've decided that searching and replacing over 50 kana characters is too much work to do manually.

I would like to know what you use to deal with Japanese text in games. Maxim, what did you do to generate normal 16-bit Japanese from the text in Phantasy Star, for example?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:41 pm
If it's in some standard 8-bit japanese codepage, you can open the data in Mozilla and change encoding settings. If it works you can then copy the text. It is a sursprisingly useful feature of web browsers.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:23 pm
Perhaps this might be of some use?

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/HeadBusterEnglish/

I translated the game to English, including the credits, in 2005.

ASSISTANT PRODUCER
TOSHIRO TSUCHIDA
NORIHIKO YONESAKA

GAME DESIGNER
EIJI KOYAMA (WINDS)

CHIEF PROGRAMMER
KATSUTOSHI YAMAMOTO
TAKAHIRO MATSUZAWA

GRAPHIC DESIGNER
KAIROU

MUSIC COMPOSER
CUBE

PACKAGE DESIGNER
SATOSHI NAKAI (WINDS)

SPECIAL THANKS TO
YUKIHIRO HIGUCHI
MORIYAH

SALES PROMOTER
JUN MIMURA
YASUAKI YOKOE

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
YASUMASA SHIRAKURA
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:13 pm
idrougge wrote
I would like to know what you use to deal with Japanese text in games. Maxim, what did you do to generate normal 16-bit Japanese from the text in Phantasy Star, for example?

I didn't, as it happens, but I know how it was done. Basically, you need to define a mapping between (data in the ROM) and (Unicode, UTF-8 etc representation of the character). For PS, a "TBL" format file was used. (I think it's a fairly common format for ROM translation efforts - see http://www.zophar.net/utilities/texthack.html for some outdated listings.) Then it's just a matter of getting a script dumper to go through a list of ROM addresses and output the converted text looked up from the table.

So, to put it another way: there exist standard file formats for text dumping, avoiding the search/replace stage you mentioned.

In the long run, it's only worth it for cases where there's a lot of text to handle. For credits, it's probably quicker to type it in based on screenshots. Even if that does mean "typing" in the IME Pad.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 pm
ccovell wrote
Perhaps this might be of some use?

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/HeadBusterEnglish/

Well, according to your readme, you had to do the work manually too, or did you?

Maxim wrote
In the long run, it's only worth it for cases where there's a lot of text to handle. For credits, it's probably quicker to type it in based on screenshots.

But if I had screenshots, I would have had this problem to begin with. But your hint put me in the right direction, I found a table translator for OSX on a ROM hacking site and now it's only a tenth of the original effort. Thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 am
Yup, I was quite disappointed with the sorry state of Table/Pointer generators. At least all the ones I could find:

myself wrote
I want to take the time now to point out deliberately that, although I researched and tried out
about 7 or 8 different "table/pointer/translation" software packages, all of them fell far short
of my expectations. Some were MS-DOS only, some crashed with some VB or Basic run-time error right
at the beginning, others mangled both input and output tables, and others seemed designed to work
with Super Famicom games only. So, I had to do it all by hand. That's quite disappointing.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!