Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Curious Question - Tetris and Sega?

Reply to topic
Bu||et
Curious Question - Tetris and Sega?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:08 am
Why wasn't there a tetris game on SMS or SMD? Especially considering Sega made an arcade tetris..

Was there something stopping them or is it just a great mystery?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:44 am
Super Tetris.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:08 am
> Super Tetris.

Which is a Korean, unlicensed game.
  • Site Admin
There was one on MD
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:28 pm
> Why wasn't there a tetris game on SMS or SMD? Especially considering Sega made an arcade tetris..

...at least, I think there was... it was in one of those back-of-magazine-loads-of-little-reviews things back in the day. I think it was an early title and therefore crappy.

What IO don't understand is why anyone ever makes a Tetris that isn't the same as the Game Boy version (or the arcade versions which are supposed to be OK). *cough* Heliophobe *cough*

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Also (OT)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:30 pm
> What IO don't understand is why anyone ever makes a Tetris that isn't the same as the Game Boy version (or the arcade versions which are supposed to be OK). *cough* Heliophobe *cough*

What IO also don't understand is why my I/O interfaces (hands, eyes) don't seem to work properly. Ah well.

Maxim
  • Site Admin
And the one thing I don't understand is...
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:51 pm
WHY U TRIPPIN'?

> What IO don't understand is why anyone ever makes a Tetris that isn't the same as the Game Boy version (or the arcade versions which are supposed to be OK). *cough* Heliophobe *cough*
AUX
Re: There was one on MD
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:04 pm
> ...at least, I think there was... it was in one of those back-of-magazine-loads-of-little-reviews things back in the day. I think it was an early title and therefore crappy.

I think the MD game was unlicensed or the license was only for Japan, so that no worldwide copies could be released. It looks similar to the Sega arcade version of Tetris.

What is special about the Game Boy version? the version I played the most was actually the 68k Mac version.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:59 pm
> > Super Tetris.

> Which is a Korean, unlicensed game.

Isn't it a direct port of one of those arcade games that, like Hang-On Jr, had a similar hardware to the SMS? I recall seeing the words INSERT COIN between the graphics of this game.
Re: There was one on MD
Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:05 pm
> I think the MD game was unlicensed or the license was only for Japan, so that no worldwide copies could be released. It looks similar to the Sega arcade version of Tetris.

I remember seeing that version in one of those Mega-Play (or maybe Mega-Tech?) arcade cabinets where you could select some MegaDrive games like Revenge of Shinobi or Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I think the games were a little modified so there was an "Insert coin" text using the fonts of each game.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:36 am
Released on pirate carts for Singapore GG ;)

And MD JAP as well.
ILB4EVER_2000
Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:54 am
> > > Super Tetris.

> > Which is a Korean, unlicensed game.

> Isn't it a direct port of one of those arcade games that, like Hang-On Jr, had a similar hardware to the SMS? I recall seeing the words INSERT COIN between the graphics of this game.

The only similarity I can see (or better yet, hear) between this and an arcade game is that Super Tetris has the same musical score as the Sega Tetris arcade game.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:51 pm
Bumping another old topic here, but after a recent discussion on another forum, I discovered that there WAS an official Japanese MD version of Tetris (part# G-4007), which was licensed from Mirrorsoft. Following the well-known legal wrangles, Mirrorsoft were left without any rights to home versions, and thus the MD version was pulled before release.
All copies were meant to be destroyed, but as is often the case, a handful slipped through the net - there's allegedly 4 known copies, one of which sold for 320000 Yen (~$2850) on Yahoo Auctions Japan and another which supposedly changed hands for an amazing 925000 Yen in a private deal. I guess that makes it THE most valuable Sega console game, more so than even SG1000 Pachinko.
The same version was bootlegged on the common-ish Tetris pirate carts, and was also released for the MD-based arcade system, as mentioned above.

More info: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/archive/index.php/t-26288.html
Saved YAJ auction: http://members.lycos.co.uk/bsakamoto/tetris/
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:55 pm
Funny that this topic is getting bumped, since I've just been comparing the existant SEGA Tetris ROMs for MegaDrive recently.

It looks like (unlike the ROM not labeled as pirate) the [p3] ROM has the SEGA logos intact, but the copyright text is missing... and if you copy/paste it from the Mega Tech version it overlaps the SEGA logo. I guess after taking a close look at all the pirate ROMs and the MT dump it will be possible to make a close to reality yet non-verified ROM. Sadly, the Mega Tech version doesn't play any sounds when being played in a Genesis emu. =\

By the way, this version was indeed released outside Japan. I remember being able to select it in a Mega-Tech arcade over here at Spain. It's almost the same as the MegaDrive version code-wise, and has little to do with the "proper" (system 16, I believe) SEGA Tetris arcade version, besides the similar title screen.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:03 am
It looks like (unlike the ROM not labeled as pirate) the [p3] ROM has the SEGA logos intact, but the copyright text is missing... and if you copy/paste it from the Mega Tech version it overlaps the SEGA logo. I guess after taking a close look at all the pirate ROMs and the MT dump it will be possible to make a close to reality yet non-verified ROM. Sadly, the Mega Tech version doesn't play any sounds when being played in a Genesis emu. =\

Very interesting, this has to be the most-ported game Sega ever made:

- Tetris (Sega MegaDrive, official, limited release)
- Tetris (Sega MegaDrive, bootleg)
- Tetris (Sega MegaTech, arcade)
- Tetris (Sega System 16A, arcade)
- Tetris (Sega System 16B, version 1, arcade)
- Tetris (Sega System 16B, version 2, arcade)
- Tetris (Sega System 16B, version 3, arcade)
- Tetris (Taito "B" board, new type, Sega license, arcade)
- Tetris (Taito "B" board, old type, Sega license, arcade)

I wonder which one has the oldest copyright and could be the 'base' game the others were ported from. Obviously the single bootleg doesn't count. :)

It's too bad the original MegaDrive version is so rare, I agree that we'll probably never see it dumped.

It's not even a very good game (Sega's version, everyone knows Gameboy Tetris is great) so I can't imagine a collector spending so much for it.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:26 am
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3644&item=81542...

Some kind of "made in china" copy i guess, asked the seller if he could send me some more pictures. Didn't answer...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:48 am
Linked from one of the above links...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3644&item=81224...

Broken pictures but it's the same pirated MD Tetris, selling for £6.75, in August. Basically, the pirated version is not hard to find, and the genuine one is unbelievably rare.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:33 am
Don't forget, Sega also made a version of Tetris in the arcades called Flash Point, which features cameos from Alex Kidd, Flicky, Ninja Princess, and Opa-Opa.

just thought I'd throw that in.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:12 am
In the Jackie Chan film Police Story III aka Super Cop III you can see the mega drive version in action as the big boss guy kills some time. I think you actually see the console with the cart in, I could have been in a daze, need to see it again, but you definatly see the mega drive pad, and here some sound, which might have been dubed in.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!