SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Full PAL Set

Reply to topic
Full PAL Set
Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2024 7:43 am
Morning everyone.

A little shameless self-promotion this morning but hoping some of you kind souls can help. Not that I'm trying to retire early or anything but really would like this video I made to be doing a little better and I would appreciate you clicking and checking it out. You don't have to watch if you're busy but perhaps let it run in the background while you work and comment. I really would appreciate all of your help. It’s a brilliant community we have and I just love the idea of more Master System videos on YT. On that note if you have stuff you think I might enjoy then please drop it below. I’m working from home today so plenty of time on my hands.

Thanks everyone.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:50 am
G'day there 8BitBoyUK.

That is some excellent library of games in your collection. Some of them I am very familiar with which I will get around to suggesting ones you could try.

After Burner is a good classic. Although personally I prefer the Sega MegaDrive and believe it or not the Commodore 64 version. The Master System is alright. but wished the FPS wasn't quite choppy. But that's just me but it is still playable. :)

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, hands down the game that got me into wanting a Sega Master System despite I gotten the Sonic The Hedgehog built-in one instead. Played it at a mate's place as a kid. Absolutely great game nonethless. ^^

Arcade Smash Hits. I played that a lot as a kid. With 3 different Atari corp titles. Missile command on that is good. Centipede is alright. Breakout is the personal favourite out of them all.

Bomber Raid is a good exclusive as my cousin had that game. Use to play it on his Sega Master System II console when I use to go to his for a holiday away.. One of the few games which does fully require the genuine Sega Master System controller. Using third party or a Sega MegaDrive controller will not work.

California Games is a OK one from this good. Although personally I like the Atari 2600 version. But this port is alright. :)

Ghostbusters is a good one, Love when it's played in PAL version as the tempo of the music is the same tempo as the real song by Parker Bros. The gameplay is good to say the least. :)

GP Rider is another favourite I owned as a kid which I still got. Even played that full gameplay through a month or so ago on my YouTube channel if you like to see that. :)

Hang-On is alright. Even though i only played it a few times in my life. Still a nice one.

Enduro Racer. Absolutely favourite, I'll say this though some stages on that one when I crash or yet sink into the water did make me laugh due to the SFX Sega used for that one. I love it cause of the soundtrack.

Lucky Dime Capers starring Donald Duck, That games alright, but some parts are a bit hard to go through, but enjoyable being a Disney game for the Master System, and another I use to play as a kid.

Olympic Gold is a good Olympic Games port for the system. Although I didn't own it as a kid, but use to hire it a lot back at the time.

Parlour Games is alright. Pool was my favourite one out of them all. Darts are OK.

Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Ho Boy hard, but it's a good game. Since I saw on your video about it. It's not a pinball game, but it is a puzzle game, it's based on the Japanese game Puyo Puyo.

Spy vs Spy. LOL. Man i love the shenanighans with that one. Hard game in the later levels. But a hilarious one as well.

Streets of Rage. NGL I use to thought The Master System version would be bad, But it is good. since the FPS is smooth than it's Sega Mega Drive successor I love how easy that game is on the Master System. One of these days I'm gonna have to do a full gameplay of that.

Bart Simpson vs The Space Mutant.
Man that one is Extremely hard for me. I could NEVER get passed Level 1 on that ever as a kid growing up. I only passed it once.

Sonic 1. Oh man the very first Sega Master System game I ever owned as a Built-In BIOS game on the Master System II. The most EASIEST game out there.

Sonic 2 A little challenging but again Very easy to go through. :)

Sonic Chaos. Wow. a first one ever with the character select and new style of sprite work for the 8-Bit system is absolutely phenomenal.

Sonic Spinball. Ugh. Yeah-Nah. The Master System port of ti TBH is a big Miss for me as it is not smooth and it's very choppy on the framerate. Gave ti a go many times. But i just could not get into the Master System version.

Lastly, Wonder Boy. All time favourite as a kid. :D Love the music SFX on that, the level designs. Absolutely a great way to introduce players to the franchise of Wonder Boy. ^^

That's about it from me mate. Hope what I mention will help you on what ones to maybe try.

Best Regards,
Josho
Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:23 am
Thanks so much for watching buddy. I think its great everyone has such a mixture of great memories for these old games. I missed out on MD, in fact I only got my first MD aged 40 lol. Being my first system I felt that was the set I wanted to go for. Believe it or not I just wanted to get to 50 games but then its a slippery slope this retro collecting!!

Thanks again for watching and your support fella.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:10 pm
Congrats for the full set, mate! I was glad to help you with the Light Phaser version of Assault City :D I think that it´s more expensive these days to get a full set than it was 14 years or even 24 years ago. I wouldn´t try to get a full set nowadays, so you have all my respect for reaching such a different goal.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:12 am
Hi 8BitBoyUK,

Happily watched your video on your full PAL collection of SMS games and checking my own collection you definitely have far more than me and pretty sure you got all of them.

Do unlicensed PAL games count?

The only game I can think of that you have not got in your collection is an unlicensed 4 in 1 game by open Corp./HES (Home Entertainment Suppliers) that was only released in Australia in 1995, maybe Josh (J.Russell Retro Gaming) remembers this company too? They were really popular in the mid 1990's just when the Master System was discontinuing and Saturn software was on the rise. HES made replica controllers called the ''Honey Bee'' for Mega Drive and Master System, they also made their own version of the Master System/Mega Drive Converter with it's own pause button on the cart. Anyway they distributed an unofficial, unlicensed Master System game cartridge with 4 games in it, from memory:

1. Adventure Kid
2. Twin Mouse
3. Cave Dude (A cleaned up port of Toto 3 from Korea)
4. And a block hitting puzzle game?

I remember that Adventure Kid uses the SG 1000 graphics chip so it doesn't work on a Mega Drive, the other 3 do work on a Mega Drive but the cart works better on a Master System console.

Might be worth tracking down a copy as they're quite rare. I'm lucky to have one as I got it cheap back in 1998 at an all day market.

Also have to disagree with Josh on Sonic Spinball, The 8-bit port plays and sounds better than the mega Drive one and it doesn't have that annoying final boss where you have to shoot Sonic up into Robotnik's Rocket. The 8-bit Spinball final boss is a lot simpler to hit, plus the ending credits is more rewarding to look at.

I watched the video as I said but can't remember every title shown, was the U.S.GOLD games shown? Like ''Impossible Mission, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade''? Also ''Taito Chase HQ'' springs to mind was that shown in the vid? If so, you got all of them.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:22 am
Found some videos of the game I was talking about.

It's called ''4 Pak All Action''

Developer: Open Corporation

Publisher: HES (Home Entertainment Suppliers)

Released: 1994.

If anyone's interested:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:23 am
Adrian wrote

The only game I can think of that you have not got in your collection is an unlicensed 4 in 1 game by open Corp./HES (Home Entertainment Suppliers) that was only released in Australia in 1995, maybe Josh (J. Russell Retro Gaming) remembers this company too?

Ah yes, I know who H.E.S. are, I remember they were the main distributor for all Activision games for the Atari 2600 back in the 80's along with EPYX released games, I know they did distribute to other platforms like the Commodore 64, As you said the Sega Master System, and The NES. Although i never gotten to play any of their Master System 4 in 1 games. Probably because I never gotten around to owning one myself Like I have with the Atari 2600 library of games they distributed.

Adrian wrote
Also have to disagree with Josh on Sonic Spinball, The 8-bit port plays and sounds better than the mega Drive one and it doesn't have that annoying final boss where you have to shoot Sonic up into Robotnik's Rocket. The 8-bit Spinball final boss is a lot simpler to hit, plus the ending credits is more rewarding to look at.

That's fine mate, Although I was more referring to the gameplay if anything, Not the Music or the SFX. I do love the Music port on that, It's the gameplay though I just seriously can't get into due to the FPS on that port being a pain for me. Not just on 50Hz, but 60Hz too on a emulator. But that's just me mate. If you love it though, I won't hold that against you. :) I just have to say it how it is with how I experience the game.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:34 am
I am so grateful Marco. I did a separate video for that one as I recently got the manual for it too. I hope you are well my friend.

Gordman wrote
Congrats for the full set, mate! I was glad to help you with the Light Phaser version of Assault City :D I think that it´s more expensive these days to get a full set than it was 14 years or even 24 years ago. I wouldn´t try to get a full set nowadays, so you have all my respect for reaching such a different goal.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:41 am
Hi Adrian,

Thanks so much for watching. I personally don't believe unlicensed games are included in the full PAL set but some people do. I also think some included Mah Jong from Hong Kong but again I don't believe that's a true PAL game either. For years no one knew about Smurfs 2 either until a loads turned up in Italy but luckily I have that one. Again, thank you so much for watching.

Adrian wrote
Hi 8BitBoyUK,

Happily watched your video on your full PAL collection of SMS games and checking my own collection you definitely have far more than me and pretty sure you got all of them.

Do unlicensed PAL games count?

The only game I can think of that you have not got in your collection is an unlicensed 4 in 1 game by open Corp./HES (Home Entertainment Suppliers) that was only released in Australia in 1995, maybe Josh (J.Russell Retro Gaming) remembers this company too? They were really popular in the mid 1990's just when the Master System was discontinuing and Saturn software was on the rise. HES made replica controllers called the ''Honey Bee'' for Mega Drive and Master System, they also made their own version of the Master System/Mega Drive Converter with it's own pause button on the cart. Anyway they distributed an unofficial, unlicensed Master System game cartridge with 4 games in it, from memory:

1. Adventure Kid
2. Twin Mouse
3. Cave Dude (A cleaned up port of Toto 3 from Korea)
4. And a block hitting puzzle game?

I remember that Adventure Kid uses the SG 1000 graphics chip so it doesn't work on a Mega Drive, the other 3 do work on a Mega Drive but the cart works better on a Master System console.

Might be worth tracking down a copy as they're quite rare. I'm lucky to have one as I got it cheap back in 1998 at an all day market.

I watched the video as I said but can't remember every title shown, was the U.S.GOLD games shown? Like ''Impossible Mission, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade''? Also ''Taito Chase HQ'' springs to mind was that shown in the vid? If so, you got all of them.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:07 am
JRussellRetroGaming wrote
.That's fine mate, Although I was more referring to the gameplay if anything, Not the Music or the SFX. I do love the Music port on that, It's the gameplay though I just seriously can't get into due to the FPS on that port being a pain for me. Not just on 50Hz, but 60Hz too on a emulator. But that's just me mate. If you love it though, I won't hold that against you. :) I just have to say it how it is with how I experience the game.

Sorry mate, your opinion on the game is very valid and you're quite right, it does has very frustrating controls but so does the Mega Drive version. I cannot stand that final boss where you have to shoot Sonic up through the rocket and if you miss Robotnik too many times, Sonic falls through the glass and you have to do it all over again through trial and error. I only managed to finish the Mega Drive version once in my entire life without save states, yet I can finish the 8-bit port anytime. Again just my personal opinion. To be honest with ya, they're both bad lol.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:12 am
You're more than welcome 8BitBoy.

If there's any other video of yours you want us to look at don't hesitate to post it here. Good day and happy gaming all.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:53 am
Adrian wrote
You're more than welcome 8BitBoy.

If there's any other video of yours you want us to look at don't hesitate to post it here. Good day and happy gaming all.

Thanks mate, there's certainly plenty there to enjoy but not right now. I just wanted that one doing a little better as a point of reference for future collectors.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!