Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - PCB images? Power Strike 2

Reply to topic
PCB images? Power Strike 2
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 am
I recently picked up a copy of PS2 and would like to know about cross referencing the cartridge PCB with other owners? I figured its an easy thing to check and as a start I'll share my initial image.

EPROM is MPR-15671 and circuit board is 171-5507. Looks fine to me and it was from a reputable seller so I'm not that worried but figured maybe if this information doesn't exist it could be helpful for others.
IMG_2295.JPG (3.3 MB)
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG (3.56 MB)
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG (3.87 MB)
IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG (3.62 MB)
IMG_2300.JPG

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:23 am
Its not an EPROM, if it was then that would be a huge red flag. MPR is the more accurate term or MROM. Mask ROMs cant be erased by any means even by exposing the die. Having the sega silk screen on both the chip and board are also very good signs of an authentic game. For this game in particular, copies of this game and PCB 171-5507 are always missing most of the control bus pins simply because they are not used. Usually you see a lot of PCB 171-5519 board revisions with most common games.

Cross referencing games physical appearance for authenticity can be a bit of a pain usually because there are other games that may use the same board revision and have the same silk screen layout on their mask ROM.

Doing it for SMS games can be less stressful since repro's will never look even remotely close to the same as an original SMS cart. The main thing you may have to look out for is label swapping where a scammer may print a new label and try and pass off a cheap game as if it is a more uncommon title.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm
IllusionOfMana wrote
Its not an EPROM, if it was then that would be a huge red flag. MPR is the more accurate term or MROM. Mask ROMs cant be erased by any means even by exposing the die. Having the sega silk screen on both the chip and board are also very good signs of an authentic game. For this game in particular, copies of this game and PCB 171-5507 are always missing most of the control bus pins simply because they are not used. Usually you see a lot of PCB 171-5519 board revisions with most common games.

Cross referencing games physical appearance for authenticity can be a bit of a pain usually because there are other games that may use the same board revision and have the same silk screen layout on their mask ROM.

Doing it for SMS games can be less stressful since repro's will never look even remotely close to the same as an original SMS cart. The main thing you may have to look out for is label swapping where a scammer may print a new label and try and pass off a cheap game as if it is a more uncommon title.

Indeed, Mask ROM is the correct term, so thanks for the correction. Bottom line here is to make sure or see if others have the same information. Either that or to go based on some database, like the NES has for example (http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777). I realize with Master System the variety of board types is more limited, but the ROM ID and board/pin layout patterns can make for easier identification.

Having said that, this copy appears to be fine. This really wouldn't be an issue if prices weren't so high now and reproductions so widespread.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!