Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SG-1000 to ColecoVision ports

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:53 pm
I didn't notice that you'd ported C-BIOS. That's great! I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:16 pm
Last edited by Wafer on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Okay, I modded under4mhz's BIOS for H.E.R.O. so that it supports the joystick and keypad correctly as separate devices. This is probably also a good start at a "universal" controller routine for Coleco games on SMS.

With an SMS pad, 1 and 2 will act as the two fire buttons. Simple, but you won't be able to start the game like that. Sorry!

With a Mega Drive three or six button pad (or a Saturn pad, natch), the controls are as follows:

A = Left Side Fire
B = Right Side Fire
In order to support the keypad buttons, directional and button combinations are used with a
Six Button Genesis controller. Here are the combinations :
Y + Up = 0
Y + Right = 1
Y + Down = 2
Y + Left = 3
Z + Up = 4
Z + Right = 5
Z + Down = 6
Z + Left = 7
Y + Z + Up = 8
Y + Z + Down = 9
X = #
C = *
Start = 1 (duplicated for starting an easier game in games with a difficulty selection option)
Mode = 3 (duplicated for starting a harder game in games with a difficulty selection option)

(This is also the same scheme that the Mega SG jailbreak uses for Coleco games)

This BIOS should also be fine for two-player games, but I haven't got round to testing that yet.

I can't test this on hardware at all, because I don't have anything that can run SG-1K modes, so if anyone tries it out, let me know how it goes. It works fine in Emulicious.
H.E.R.O..sg.zip (17.51 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 pm
@Wafer did you attach the correct file? On a regular SMS Pad there doesn't seem to be a way to start the game? At least nothing seems to happen no matter which button I press.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 pm
Calindro wrote
@Wafer did you attach the correct file? On a regular SMS Pad there doesn't seem to be a way to start the game? At least nothing seems to happen no matter which button I press.

Oops, I probably shoulda made it clear that there's no way to start the game without a Mega Drive pad. I was more focused on implementing a full controller map that could make most games playable with an MD controller than making this one specific game playable with SMS pads. I've edited the post.

You bring up a good point though, it would be GREAT to get games like this working without extra controls. I've been thinking it might be useful to add a "virtual keypad" screen to the BIOS so that hacks can call it on demand, but I have other projects that I need to get back to at the moment.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 pm
Wafer wrote
Oops, I probably shoulda made it clear that there's no way to start the game without a Mega Drive pad.

Oh, it looks like you did. Or did you edit your post?
Wafer wrote
With an SMS pad, 1 and 2 will act as the two fire buttons. Simple, but you won't be able to start the game like that. Sorry!

I misunderstood this part:
Wafer wrote
Start = 1 (duplicated for starting an easier game in games with a difficulty selection option)

I read it as start button behaves the same as button 1 and expected that I could also start the game with button 1.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm
Last edited by Stokes on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Okay, while I did this on my birthday (January 21st) today, I bet you guys would be interested into having Space Invaders Collection, by Opcode, on SMS. This was supposed to be for the SG-1000, but ended up being on SMS due to size being 64kB for SMS and SG-1000 can handle 48kB ROM. The original game was only 32kB. I will see if I can get 2010 next.
P.S. This works on Mark III, not even Master System (1 or 2) or Game Gear would work.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm
Stokes wrote
Okay, while I did this on my birthday (January 21st) today, I bet you guys would be interested into having Space Invaders Collection, by Opcode, on SMS. This was supposed to be for the SG-1000, but ended up being on SMS due to size being 64kB for SMS and SG-1000 can handle 48kB ROM. The original game was only 32kB. I will see if I can get 2010 next.

Isn't "Loretta no Shouzou: Sherlock Holmes" a 128KB for SG-1000 ?
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:37 pm
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O
Oh, looks like I was wrong, I also discovered there was this MSX to SMS collection by a user on YouTube that ACTUALLY runs on the SG-1000.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O
Oh, looks like I was wrong, I also discovered there was this MSX to SMS collection by a user on YouTube that ACTUALLY runs on the SG-1000.

Please share the youtube link please :)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:03 pm
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O

Thaaaank you ! Happy Birthday again !
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:25 pm
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O

Thaaaank you ! Happy Birthday again !

Thanks and you're welcome. :-D
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:06 pm
Any ideas for ColecoVision to SG-1000 games?
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm
Stokes wrote
Any ideas for ColecoVision to SG-1000 games?

Q*bert, Mr. Do!, Mr. Do's Castle, BurgerTime, Centipede, Congo Bongo, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Galaxian, Gyruss, Lady Bug, Pitfall!, Pitfall II, Roc 'N Rope, Time Pilot, Zaxxon

In some cases there are already SG-1000 versions, but the Colecovision version is different and IMO better
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:58 pm
Also super bonus points if you can get the Sports Pad working with Centipede
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:07 pm
Any news on Tank Wars & HERO or did everyone move to MSX conversions? :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 pm
elfor wrote
Any news on Tank Wars & HERO or did everyone move to MSX conversions? :)

Tank Wars and H.E.R.O. are still the same. No news for now, but we'll just have to see in the future.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!