Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Semi related: Updated Mega Drive with built-in SMS compatability...maybe someday...

Reply to topic
Semi related: Updated Mega Drive with built-in SMS compatability...maybe someday...
Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:30 am
Feel free to delete this if you think it's stupid, but it WILL be more fleshed out in my future posts.
I just needed to get these 'sketches' down and see if anyone else cared.

(PreScript I cannot sleep[DUNCAN. HILLS. COFFEE.] and for various reasons feel like I'm losing my mind, butI'm probably just exercising it like I would have if I'd ever really studied)
I cannot stop my brain/mind from designing a NEWER BETTER FASTER Genesis/Mega Drive and CD unit.

I didn't know jack shit about digital ANYTHING, really until about a month and a half ago.
Now:
How can I sleep without knowing what version of the 68k family I should be using in Enhanced mode?(68040 looks good...just looked now)
How much memory can each chip address in each mode?
What should the chips do in each mode?
What changes should be made on the CD end?
What VDP should be used? An existing design? Which one?
If a new design, what features should be added?
What about the sound unit? A new one is needed, but what needs to be done? The FM units are a good start, but the sample handling and lack of any real DSP power is a hindrance.
Can an existing sound chip design be used? What patents are still held on X chip?

That's just the beginning. The easy part's the hard part(MIND??!!?!?):
I need to re-design these chips myself/with help.
FPGA. What chip/memory will be doing the re-programming of the gate array to change modes?

Teaching english to people of two different ages, cultures, and native tongues, learning Chinese, and now designing computer actitechture.

This is one step beyond masocism. This is the brink of martyrdom...

In any case, tell me what you think, or if you care.

PostScript:
I want this thing to have MS/Mark III and card slots.
The bios will probably manage the priority.

I have no idea what's going on any more.
I think the coffee just wore off, and this is the most progress I've made on the overall design all month.
First time I tried, really. It was all in passing until I really decided to DO THE RESEARCH.

pps...I forgot to mention casual study of native Irish, and occasionally understanding more Spanish than I remember knowing since I took in in the 2nd grade.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:16 pm
TheGZeus wrote
(PreScript I cannot sleep[DUNCAN. HILLS. COFFEE.] and for various reasons feel like I'm losing my mind, butI'm probably just exercising it like I would have if I'd ever really studied)
I cannot stop my brain/mind from designing a NEWER BETTER FASTER Genesis/Mega Drive and CD unit.

Clone the Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD (D'oh did I say that out loud?).

TheGZeus wrote

How can I sleep without knowing what version of the 68k family I should be using in Enhanced mode?(68040 looks good...just looked now)

The 68040 would probably be overkill for a tile/sprite based game system. Again look at the Neo Geo, it does quite a bit with a 68000.
[/quote]

TheGZeus wrote

What changes should be made on the CD end?

This is one area where a new design could improve on the Sega CD/Neo Geo CD. A faster CD with a secondary CPU (the way the Sega CD does it) would improve the Neo Geo CD design. But, the secondary CD needs to share memory/VDP access with the main CPU. I can't think of a reason why data needs to be read into ram, and then transferred (by a seperate CPU) into VRAM.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!