SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - sega game gear repair help

Reply to topic
sega game gear repair help
Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:26 pm
Hey everyone, I'm after a little help.

Recently picked up a game gear which powered up and showed backlight, but it had no picture, brightness wheel had no effect and no sound.

I picked up a cap kit and installed it and now I get sound, brightness wheel works and you can just about make out a ghost of an image on a severe angle with the brightness turned up all the way(game playing is chuck rock in photo).

Now I haven't the foggiest why its not working, I have checked and rechecked the polarity and rating of the caps and reflowed solder on all of them again after replacing.I would say its an LCD issue, but from experience they normally show a garbled picture?

The only thing I have not done is the caps on the power board since I was told they don't generally fail and if they do, the game gear won't work.

Any help gratefully accepted as I'm at a total lose end on where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:19 am
Hey nachoman -

Did you have any luck with this over the past week? Many times the capacitors' electrolytic fluid will leak on your board and cause problems with your traces, cover other components, etc. When you removed the old capacitors, did you do some clean-up work, scrub the surrounding areas and do some multimeter tests for continuity?

It adds time to the work, that is certain. However, the elbow grease can help solve some of the unknowns down the line.

Just my two cents on this one. Good luck.
Game Gear Repair
Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:33 pm
I'm having the same issue but intermittent now that I've used contact cleaner on the brightness control. It's a VA-5 board and I replaced all the capacitors. Typically if I power cycle a couple of times it works for a while but will randomly go out while playing. It can be seen at an extreme angle when this happens. Any ideas?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!