Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Heavy Metal

Reply to topic
Heavy Metal
Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 am
Hello! I played thorough the Game Boy version of "Iron Man / X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal" back in the day and was interested when I found out the game was also released for Game Gear. I thought I'd emulate the game to see what it looked like in full color, but found out the game crashes when pressing Up to swing X-O's energy sword. The character's sprite becomes distorted and the backround colors shift; depending on the emulator the game will either freeze like this or return to the character select screen with a life lost.

I've tested the game with the following emulators and they all encountered this problem:
Gens+
Kega Fusion
Meka
eSMS

Press Up as Iron Man causes no problems, by the way.

I've used ROMs from several different sources... not that it matters, since they all seem to be mirroring the same file. Regardless, SMS Checker with the newest romdata says it's a good dump.

It's OK if this can't be fixed, but I'm curious if it's just that the only dump out there is an unidentified bad ROM or if there's something unique that's stumping these otherwise excellent programs.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:00 am
Strange, might actually be a bad dump then.
I'll see if I have some time to look into what it's doing.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:10 am
Same behaviour in Cogwheel (loses a life then returns to selection screen) with the ROM with the CRC 8927B69B.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 pm
This doesn't happen with "Iron Man X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal (U) [a1]" (available from various places), so the dump SMS Checker says is good must actually be bad. The alternative dump isn't recognized by SMS Checker or meka.nam at the moment.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:59 pm
There's a byte missing from the bad dump that causes a section to be shuffled along a bit - the sort of thing you'd get if an address counter double-clocked, although the point at which it corrects itself is strange.

Homebrew ROM repairers: insert $81 at $36fd1, then remove $00 at $37800.

Note that SMS Checker does recognise it, if you use the "GameGear-New" data file, although it doesn't classify good/bad.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 am
Interesting. Nice work figuring this out, guys.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!