Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - I finally got my Japanese SMS

Reply to topic
I finally got my Japanese SMS
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:03 am
Sorry for this post, I'm just too happy right now.

I've had a SMS since I was a kid in the 80s, but it wasnt until I was MUCH older that I got nostalgic and learned about FM sound. Sure I could mod one of my old SMS's. I still have my original as well as one I picked up for $5 in the 90s, but I couldnt bring myself to doing it and wanted one that was compatible with the paddle controller and (almost) all of the games.

I bought one from a Japanese shop on eBay in Feb, but it got lost in the mail or in customs (no one knows). I got refunded and bought another which arrived today. I only mention all of that because I've literally been waiting 3mos for this and I dont regret it a bit.

I tested everything and it works. I played a few Japanese games I had (Woodypop and Galactic Protector) to test the slots and the paddle control, then I brought out ,my SMS->Mark III adapter and OutRun 3D to test the 3D glasses port as well as the FM sound. I love it!! I was missing out of so much as a kid. Yea, its ridiculously nostalgic, but its made me happy for sure.

I put in Penguin Land and noticed the title screen was all in Japanese... off a game I've had since the 80s... who knew??? (probably all of you).

The only things that disappoint me, are there is no "SEEEEGA..." tone on the SMS-J. It just says Mark III and loads the game. Also there is no reset button, its a rapid fire button (apparently you hold it down and press a button to activate it) and the power light flashes. Do the reverse to deactivate it. I actually like the reset button and I have a rapid fire adapter, but thats such a minor thing its barely worth mentioning.

Ok, I'm done with my "happiness" post, you may all continue on.
20200504_141916.jpg (3.73 MB)
20200504_141916.jpg

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 am
Tha_Ape wrote
Sorry for this post, I'm just too happy right now.

I've had a SMS since I was a kid in the 80s, but it wasnt until I was MUCH older that I got nostalgic and learned about FM sound. Sure I could mod one of my old SMS's. I still have my original as well as one I picked up for $5 in the 90s, but I couldnt bring myself to doing it and wanted one that was compatible with the paddle controller and (almost) all of the games.

I bought one from a Japanese shop on eBay in Feb, but it got lost in the mail or in customs (no one knows). I got refunded and bought another which arrived today. I only mention all of that because I've literally been waiting 3mos for this and I dont regret it a bit.

I tested everything and it works. I played a few Japanese games I had (Woodypop and Galactic Protector) to test the slots and the paddle control, then I brought out ,my SMS->Mark III adapter and OutRun 3D to test the 3D glasses port as well as the FM sound. I love it!! I was missing out of so much as a kid. Yea, its ridiculously nostalgic, but its made me happy for sure.

I put in Penguin Land and noticed the title screen was all in Japanese... off a game I've had since the 80s... who knew??? (probably all of you).

The only things that disappoint me, are there is no "SEEEEGA..." tone on the SMS-J. It just says Mark III and loads the game. Also there is no reset button, its a rapid fire button (apparently you hold it down and press a button to activate it) and the power light flashes. Do the reverse to deactivate it. I actually like the reset button and I have a rapid fire adapter, but thats such a minor thing its barely worth mentioning.

Ok, I'm done with my "happiness" post, you may all continue on.

That's a great piece of hardware, I still have mine with other "granies" working like a charm :D
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 am
Congrats mate, it must´ve been super expensive. Too bad the other one got lost in transit, what a lost!

If you refurbish everything, it will be your best friend for a lifetime :D And you should play The Ninja, because the japanese version has two more levels and better animations at some points. The jap version of Enduro Racer is just outstanding, it is HIGHLY addictive :D
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:16 pm
I noticed when I put penguin land in, the title screen was all in Japanese. I wonder what other games do that?

I thought I had The Ninja, but apparently I don't. I'll have to check it out.

It wasn't TOO bad, not super cheap, probably twice what modding to FM would cost, but I figured I could sell one of my old SMSs to make up for it. The problem is I can't bring myself to selling one.

I have one with a box and light phaser and hang on/safari hunt bios and another, no box, but it has the snail maze bios (my childhood one). I should sell the one with light phaser, but then I need to buy a light phaser.

So here I am hoarding systems. I think there's someone on here with 9, so I'm not that bad yet.
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:44 pm
Tha_Ape wrote
I noticed when I put penguin land in, the title screen was all in Japanese. I wonder what other games do that?

Quite a few games do that (including three of my homebrews.) ;)
Hmmm... that "sega tone" is unfamiliar to me, my console never had it
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:22 am
And I'm certainly not japanese
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 am
Tha_Ape wrote

Many more than you think ;) for example give it a try for the Wonderboy series, you'll be surprised ;)
Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:49 pm
I too am still happy with my Japanese Master System and I like all the features that you mentioned.

Could you test Out Run 3-D with the paddle controller?
I could not get it to work with my everdrive. Both Out Run 3-D and normal Out Run did not work with paddle controller through the everdrive.
But then I found a original Japanese Mark II Out Run cart and that did work with paddle controller!
https://www.smspower.org/Tags/PaddleControl
Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 pm
Doesn't paddle control use different and incompatible coding between Japanese and western (Sports Pad) regions?
Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:26 pm
KingMike wrote
Doesn't paddle control use different and incompatible coding between Japanese and western (Sports Pad) regions?

western (export) paddles are working in a different way, so they're not compatible. they also don't exist.
Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:52 pm
D wrote
I too am still happy with my Japanese Master System and I like all the features that you mentioned.

Yes, it works. Full analog and all. I played through all 15 stages again with it. When you enter your initials, it scrolls faster the more you turn the wheel. At least 4 different speeds (if you include stop).

I wonder if the everdrive is locked into the "export" code which messes up the controller? I also used it on OutRun (non-3D) to be honest, that one felt more notchy and less fluid.

How does WoodyPop, Galactic Protector, etc (other paddle games) work on the Everdrive? When you go to select difficulty in Outrun 3-D does it bounce back and forth unless youre full left/right?
Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:54 pm
sverx wrote
KingMike wrote

western (export) paddles are working in a different way, so they're not compatible. they also don't exist.

Apparently you can make one... https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/sms_paddle/index_en.php

Not the prettiest thing I've seen, but the insides appear to work.
QUESTION ABOUT LIGHT GUN GAMES
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:06 am
Do any light gun games work on the J-SMS?
I was reading on the "SegaRetro.org" site that the light phaser should work on the J-SMS, but when I played a few games with my converter, they do not work.
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 am
I brought a paddle controller back from a trip to Japan last year and have been enjoying it ever since. I actually use it with a european SMS 1. I have a VileTim FM board installed I can switch the system to japanese with. I can play all paddle controlled games just fine from my Everdrive X7. I just have to disconnect the paddle when selecting the ROM, then connect it again once the game is running and reset the game so the paddle can be detected.
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 am
Tha_Ape wrote
D wrote

Yes, it works. Full analog and all. I played through all 15 stages again with it. When you enter your initials, it scrolls faster the more you turn the wheel. At least 4 different speeds (if you include stop).

I wonder if the everdrive is locked into the "export" code which messes up the controller? I also used it on OutRun (non-3D) to be honest, that one felt more notchy and less fluid.

How does WoodyPop, Galactic Protector, etc (other paddle games) work on the Everdrive? When you go to select difficulty in Outrun 3-D does it bounce back and forth unless youre full left/right?

Woody Pop and Galactic Protector work fine!

Kagesan wrote
I brought a paddle controller back from a trip to Japan last year and have been enjoying it ever since. I actually use it with a european SMS 1. I have a VileTim FM board installed I can switch the system to japanese with. I can play all paddle controlled games just fine from my Everdrive X7. I just have to disconnect the paddle when selecting the ROM, then connect it again once the game is running and reset the game so the paddle can be detected.

Reset the game? Would that not put you back into the everdrive menu?
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:36 am
D wrote
Reset the game? Would that not put you back into the everdrive menu?

Only if you do a cold reset by pushing the power switch. Hitting the reset button on the console (if the game supports it) takes you back to the game's title screen.
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:59 pm
Ha, the Japanese does not have a reset button. OK, this might be a slight downside to owning a Japanese MS then!
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm
D wrote
Ha, the Japanese does not have a reset button. OK, this might be a slight downside to owning a Japanese MS then!

Yea, I realized that, too. It does have a rapid fire button, but I have an adapter that does that so it's fairly useless.

It doesn't have any built in games or a cool boot sound either, but it does have an animated "no game in" screen with sound (space harrier? ). My bios is v2.1
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!