Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Cartridge Connector Help

Reply to topic
Cartridge Connector Help
Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 pm
Does anyone know if connectors for Game Gear and Sega Cards can be sourced anywhere that doesn’t involved pulling them from an existing system?

I know it’s a long shot, but I’m working on some hardware development with those game types included and was going to make some breakout boards for easier signal tapping. Thanks for the help!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm
I guess another option would be if there was a suitable card edge connector that could be cut in half. It’s curious that the retron5 3 in 1 adapter has the connectors. I wonder if they are pulling them from old systems or if they’ve found a supplier.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:00 pm
Given that it includes a Game Gear connector and a Sega Card connector, I suspect they've paid to get them manufactured. This isn't too hard if you have manufacturing connections, a technical artist and a bunch of money, see https://www.bigmessowires.com/2016/06/04/db-19-resurrecting-an-obsolete-connecto... for example. The SMS connector is non proprietary and easier to find, of course.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:29 am
I’ve got the first two, but not the pile of money. I’ll need to check at work tomorrow, but an EISA slot may have the right pitch and bi-level spacing. Would need to cut it in half and shorten it. I’ll update the thread if I find anything. Thanks for the help!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:35 pm
With two regular boards and spring-loaded pins you could make one too. I'm thinking on using something like these spring-loaded pins on a 'top' board, mounted on top of another one so the SMS/GG card gets 'sandwiched' between them and the pins make the contact. (GG cartridges would need to have the lid open though)

I could make it myself tbh.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm
For a card breakout it might be quicker and easier to get a card catcher and a socket to match that?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 am
I broke down and got a retron5 3 in 1 adapter. All the game types work in a genesis although GG games have the colors messed up as expected. There is an STM8S103 chip on the board. I’ll have to prove it to find out it’s function. Guessing it’s setting up ram for some of the games. The slots have no manufacture markings. They are made exactly the same with the Sega Card slot having the same cutouts needed for the game gear cart just with fewer pins.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!