Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How to edit text and sprites?

Reply to topic
How to edit text and sprites?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:55 am
Hey guys, I was wondering.. How do I edit text and sprites? I try to do it under emulicious but, I end up getting nowhere with the software. So, I don't know what to do here.

I am trying to make a rom hack of Wonder Boy 3, based off of a mexican candy mascot and I want it to be the best thing that I have ever made so, If you guys can help, I would highly appreciate it!!
Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:05 pm
For sprites you should try mastertileconverter. Go to offset 20000 and you should see some recognizable gfx, only in the wrong color.

So next start the game in meka. Make sure the sprite you want to change is loaded/ on screen. Then export the palette in bin format.

Import the palette in mastertileconverter, set Palette Part to "sprite" and then continue to search for your sprite there.
Once found do Export Picture.
Edit the picture in your favorite image editor. Save and make sure the color palette stays the same.
Import the picture, save rom and play!

I'm sure there must be a better guide for mastertileconverter somewhere online, i just can' t find it :).

Changing text however is a totally different story. You need to find out how the text is stored. Unlike (uncompressed) gfx it can be stored in different ways for each game. Not sure if it is ever stored as normal text which you can read in a hex editor, but it's worth a try. I'm just a beginner hacker, so i can't help you with that.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:13 pm
slogra wrote
For sprites you should try mastertileconverter. Go to offset 20000 and you should see some recognizable gfx, only in the wrong color.

So next start the game in meka. Make sure the sprite you want to change is loaded/ on screen. Then export the palette in bin format.

Import the palette in mastertileconverter, set Palette Part to "sprite" and then continue to search for your sprite there.
Once found do Export Picture.
Edit the picture in your favorite image editor. Save and make sure the color palette stays the same.
Import the picture, save rom and play!

I'm sure there must be a better guide for mastertileconverter somewhere online, i just can' t find it :).

Changing text however is a totally different story. You need to find out how the text is stored. Unlike (uncompressed) gfx it can be stored in different ways for each game. Not sure if it is ever stored as normal text which you can read in a hex editor, but it's worth a try. I'm just a beginner hacker, so i can't help you with that.

thank you so much!! I will try that. also it sucks that it's not easy to edit text on the master system :(
Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:54 pm
It's not unique to the SMS. All early games--computer, console, arcade--used their own techniques for storing or compressing text.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!