Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Regarding PAL SMS consoles, is there an advantage of having a SMS2 console over the original?

Reply to topic
Regarding PAL SMS consoles, is there an advantage of having a SMS2 console over the original?
Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:31 pm
I am considering getting a PAL SMS1 console to replace my SMS2 , mainly because of the issues I face with the smsfm board that does not work for me OK on my sms2 consoles...

Are there any compatibility issues? I vaguely remember that the SMS2 console is better when running various region games (I also have a master everdrive) or am I remembering things wrong?
Does Codemaster's Micro Machines run on SMS1 consoles?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice :)

edit: I realize that sms2 consoles only come with RF output, I already modded mine successfully with composite rgb and a 50/60hz switch :)
Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:05 am
keropi wrote
Does Codemaster's Micro Machines run on SMS1 consoles?

Micro Machines and a few other games use an unusual (extra-height 224-line) video mode. This is the main (only?) reason it runs on some Master System consoles and not others. Whether the 224-line mode is supported depends which VDP chip the console has: the mode is not supported by the earlier 315-5124 VDP, only by the later 315-5246.

I believe all SMS2s contain the later chip and will all run Micro Machines. As for SMS1 consoles, some contain the earlier chip and some contain the later.

If you can get hold of an SMS1 containing the later chip, similar to those on this page, I believe Micro Machines will work. Perhaps someone could confirm this?
Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 pm
While I can't recommend it, these games do run on a regular SMS with graphical and timing glitches. Same story with running them on a Sega Genesis with a Power Base Converter. I'd describe the games as being more functional than playable though. :D
Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:10 am
My VA2/PAL 18 APR 1989 has a square hole in the shell between RF Out and A/V Out for adjusting the RF unit, however my PAL VA3 17 JUL 1990 doesn't have this.

Is this typical? It may be a simple way to find a VA3 unit if only those do not have the RF adjustment hole.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!