SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SG-1000 on the PSP

Reply to topic
SG-1000 on the PSP
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 am
Hi,

I'm a new guy with a pressing issue. All of the Sega Master System emulators for the PSP are derived from a SMSplus source that doesn't allow for playing SG-1000 games.

S8DS for the much less powerful DS can play those games fine, but none of the PSP emulators even display them.

I thought that it would be possible to add SG-1000 support from another SMSplus version to the source code of an existing PSP emulator, but pspdev and cygwin have proven to be beyond me league.

What I want to ask is; is there any chance of SG-1000 support being added to any of the main SMS emulators on the PSP?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:39 pm
SG games work fine on SMS Plus PSP. :)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm
In that case, how do I get them to work? Do you guys know? I did try playing them on SMSplus psp, and I couldn't get it to recognize the .sg filename.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:56 pm
SuperL wrote
In that case, how do I get them to work? Do you guys know? I did try playing them on SMSplus psp, and I couldn't get it to recognize the .sg filename.

They just work on mine, they're in .zip files - dunno if that makes any difference.

I'm using version 1.3.1
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm
I got it. Basically, leave the SG Roms in their zip files.

The emulation is roughly on par with ApprenticeMinusDS. the color schemes are darker, the sound emulation is iffy, and games like Monaco GP are unplayable.

I sitll haven't given up on trying to add proper SG-1000 emulation to SMSplusPSP. I'm seeking help on another forum for it.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:10 pm
SuperL wrote
I got it. Basically, leave the SG Roms in their zip files.

The emulation is roughly on par with ApprenticeMinusDS. the color schemes are darker, the sound emulation is iffy, and games like Monaco GP are unplayable.

I sitll haven't given up on trying to add proper SG-1000 emulation to SMSplusPSP. I'm seeking help on another forum for it.

That is something I'd like to see. :)

You're right, I did notice that the display is too dark. When you say Monaco GP is unplayable, do you mean it won't work? It didn't on mine but I tried another dump and it loads up fine.

Got myself a full SG/OMV set now (C So! was a bugger to find) so will have a fun afternoon checking them all out!
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 pm
With Monaco GP, you will see a green screen and a bunch of pixellated garbage. And the game will just keep resetting without loading.

As for the sound, that's one of SMSPlus PSP's drawbacks; it's iffy on everything. and like the SG-1000 games, Game Gear games have messed up palettes and some won't load. I have the latest build, if that changes anything.

Masterboy (the SMS components of which are also derived from SMSPlus) won't play SG games like SMSPlus can, but the sound is much better and Game Gear games play like normal. I'm in the process of trying to modify the source code to that.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 pm
SuperL wrote
With Monaco GP, you will see a green screen and a bunch of pixellated garbage. And the game will just keep resetting without loading.

As for the sound, that's one of SMSPlus PSP's drawbacks; it's iffy on everything. and like the SG-1000 games, Game Gear games have messed up palettes and some won't load. I have the latest build, if that changes anything.

Masterboy (the SMS components of which are also derived from SMSPlus) won't play SG games like SMSPlus can, but the sound is much better and Game Gear games play like normal. I'm in the process of trying to modify the source code to that.

I think the SG support was only added to SMSPlus PSP in the last version, hopefully the next build will bring some fixes. I've tested the entire SG/Mark III library and only found three or so games that wouldn't run. I'll try different dumps of those ones when I get time.

FM emulation doesn't seem to work for Mark III sadly, and the option to select the console region manually would be nice.

I'm enjoying these classic games, Pacar, Zippy Race, Monaco GP are all awesome :)
Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:28 pm
I've PMd you, SuperL :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!