SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Problems with sms music on the actual console

Reply to topic
Problems with sms music on the actual console
Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:50 pm
Hello everyone =|
This is the last thing i will try - asking here. I'll make it short: Some music when converted to a rom file just won't play on the actual sms, NO MATTER if i pad the files or not. i gave my best and modified haroldoop's padding program to create 64k roms, even tho i'm a total n00b when it comes to programming - but nothing works or worked. unpadded file, 32k file, 64k file... black screen. no reaction. is Deflemask the problem again? it can't be, since some tunes work and others don't. i rendered in vgm 1.61, built the rom with vgmplay and then padded it with the modified smshead cmd program. using master everdrive on a european master system 1. i am close of abandoning my life-long love for the sms just because of this shit. i can't explain in words how much this frustrates me after waiting so many long years and paying much money for flash cart etc. Please help me =( You are the only hope i have now......... (all the other cool devs get silent when i state my problem)
i don't care how overdone and nerdy the solution will be. i'm ready to eat literal shit for the sake of finally being able to play my music on an actual sms and not just in a modern emulated environment............
i'll attach 4 files in a zip, it's the .dmf file of a little song of mine, then the .vgm file as well as the unpadded and then the 64k rom. maybe that helps. i must rephrase that i'm a noob. so long.......

edit:
jk i will never give up

edit2:
i did try other vgm versions, inb4 someone asks (=
bla.zip (14.62 KB)

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:59 pm
Klangfarbe wrote
Hello everyone =|
This is the last thing i will try - asking here. I'll make it short: Some music when converted to a rom file just won't play on the actual sms, NO MATTER if i pad the files or not. i gave my best and modified haroldoop's padding program to create 64k roms, even tho i'm a total n00b when it comes to programming - but nothing works or worked. unpadded file, 32k file, 64k file... black screen. no reaction. is Deflemask the problem again? it can't be, since some tunes work and others don't. i rendered in vgm 1.61, built the rom with vgmplay and then padded it with the modified smshead cmd program. using master everdrive on a european master system 1. i am close of abandoning my life-long love for the sms just because of this shit. i can't explain in words how much this frustrates me after waiting so many long years and paying much money for flash cart etc. Please help me =( You are the only hope i have now......... (all the other cool devs get silent when i state my problem)
i don't care how overdone and nerdy the solution will be. i'm ready to eat literal shit for the sake of finally being able to play my music on an actual sms and not just in a modern emulated environment............
i'll attach 4 files in a zip, it's the .dmf file of a little song of mine, then the .vgm file as well as the unpadded and then the 64k rom. maybe that helps. i must rephrase that i'm a noob. so long.......

edit:
jk i will never give up

edit2:
i did try other vgm versions, inb4 someone asks (=

The unpadded rom doesn't work because of its filesize.
The "padded" rom contains only 00s and a SEGA header at $fff0, so this rom is useless.
I've attached a correctly padded version of your rom.
nachtwanderer.zip (13.04 KB)

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 pm
alright, i tried it out and of course it worked (=
i totally forgot how the padding program i edited was made to pad _empty_ files for programming purposes, oh lol.. may i ask, how hard is it to do the padding manually if one hasn't much experience with coding (whatever the language may be)? and could You maybe describe how it is done, or how You did it? (=
thanks in advance, and best regards!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:58 am
You can just append anything to the ROM, so long as the result is at least past the next 64KB boundary. So just add more than 64KB to it.

copy /b original.sms+some_random_file.txt padded.sms

Or open it up in a hex editor and add bytes any way you know how.
Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am
Klangfarbe wrote
alright, i tried it out and of course it worked (=
i totally forgot how the padding program i edited was made to pad _empty_ files for programming purposes, oh lol.. may i ask, how hard is it to do the padding manually if one hasn't much experience with coding (whatever the language may be)? and could You maybe describe how it is done, or how You did it? (=
thanks in advance, and best regards!

I've abused WLA-DX to do it for me using the following code:
.memorymap
defaultslot 0
slotsize $c000
slot 0 $0000
.endme

.rombankmap
bankstotal 1
banksize $c000
banks 1
.endro

.orga 0
.incbin "nachtwandererunpadded.sms"

.emptyfill $ff

slotsize and banksize need to be the desired filesize.
The line with .emptyfill is unnecessary. It just tells WLA-DX to fill the rom with $ff instead of 0.
Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 am
many many thanks to both of You! (= i'll just let the first post stay there like it is so everyone has something to giggle at in the future heh! time to do some full-lenght tunes now, was definitely about time that the test phase is over =))
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!