Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear capacitor replacement. ASIC 1 board model.

Reply to topic
Game Gear capacitor replacement. ASIC 1 board model.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm
Hello.

I am attempting to change the capacitors on my Game Gear. My problem is My game gear will not display a large vertical portion of the screen and it shuts off about 1 1\2 seconds after it is powered on. I have already checked the pins on the LCD and they are all intact. I have gotten the correct capacitors as stipulated by http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ggrgb/ggrepair.html, however, I have found that some of the indicated values on the capacitors I ordered do not match the actual numbers on the Game Gear's original capacitors. For instance, On the aforementioned site, it says the C43 capacitor's value is 22 Pico Farad, but on the system's capacitor it reads 1 (I would assume the "1" would mean 1 pF or .1pF) and 50V. Like I said before, the values on the ordered capacitors I intend to place in the Game Gear match the indicated values given at the ggrepair page.

I am certain that my Game Gear is a ASIC board, as it only has one IC with the 315 prefix.

So my question is, do I go on and replace the capacitors as directed or do I need to find capacitors other than those found on the repair list?
viletim!
Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:36 am
Make sure your Game Gear is manufactured by Sega cause it's only these models which suffer from capacitor problems. A thick vertical strip of missing video is often caused by a faulty LCD or solder connections to the LCD. But it shouldn't turn off if that were the case.

The unit of capacitance for electro caps is µF (micro-farad 10e-6), not pico (10e-12) so you don't order some really tiny capacitors by mistake.

If you have discovered a different version of Sega Game Gear then I'd be interested to know more (can you get photo of the board?).

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:27 pm
My mistake, I meant to say Micro, but I wasn't thinking I did get the right capacitors though. I accidentally pulled out the soldering pads for one of the capacitors, the soldering iron was too hot for what I was using it for, so the Game Gear is SOL (unless I decided to try and use wires to reconnect everything, which is possible). I think the LCD was bad anyway. So I ordered a new GG and I intend to replace the capacitors on it instead. I've included a shot of the motherboard, I think it is a typical 1 ASIC board.

My other question still remains, however, the question about the ggrepair page's indicated capacitors and the actual capacitors. Refer to my previous post.

Thanks for the help.

~~~~Kubba Yioka~~~~

*MOD* Attached picture as attachment.
dsc06032or3.jpg (140.23 KB)
dsc06032or3.jpg

viletim!
Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:04 am
You should definitely use values printed on the caps.

I've never seen that board layout before which is why it's not featured in my repair guide. If you've already ordered another would you consider selling this one to me? I'd be interested in adding the cap values to the repair guide and find out if there's any problems modifying it to output RGB.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:26 pm
Yes, I would consider it, but the soldering pads for a particular Capacitor are completely gone. The Iron was too hot. Just PM me and I'll work something out with you.
tth
Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:04 pm
viletim! wrote
Make sure your Game Gear is manufactured by Sega cause it's only these models which suffer from capacitor problems.

Is this true?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 am
tth wrote
viletim! wrote
Make sure your Game Gear is manufactured by Sega cause it's only these models which suffer from capacitor problems.

Is this true?

So far I haven't heard any reports of Majesco units with bad caps. They are younger than the Sega units, perhaps in a few more years...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!