Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Local know-it-all

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Local know-it-all
Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:21 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Fri May 09, 2008 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
I was just doing some ego-Googling for things I've made (GBA VGM Player this time) and up popped EMU-LMAO which I remember started about 10 years ago during the "emulation golden age", as a news site mainly based on pointing out copy-paste news posts on other, real emulation news sites. I hadn't realised it was still going. Anyway, I saw this:

http://emulmao.emuchrist.org/2k7/112k7.html

EMU-LMAO wrote
SMS POWER! HAS AN HAZE, AFTER ALL.
OMG OMG!

The locals @ SMS Power, especially the local know-it-all Maxim, teed off on a Meka fan yesterday - simply because he was trying to coax Mr. Back into adding Netplay into Meka by using Kega Fusion's example.

At least Maxim should have the courage to update his own two-year-old GBA VGM Player, before pointing out Steve Snake's own emulator deficiencies :D

The thread in question

:)

[edit: fixed link]
Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:35 pm
What is that ?? The worst tabloid on the world´s emulation scene ??
Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:11 pm
Niloct wrote
What is that ?? The worst tabloid on the world´s emulation scene ??

Yep I gottA AGREE.. I think in this instance we gotta take LMAO seriously cause they'rey so dumb.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 pm
Maxim wrote
EMU-LMAO which I remember starting about 10 years ago

Please clarify that for me before my heart suffer: did you started EMU-LMAO ten years ago? :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:18 am
Fixed :O

I remember it starting about 10 years ago. When the "it" is removed, due to the subject already having been established earlier in the sentence, the sentence becomes scarily ambiguous.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:14 am
Will you be updating the GBA VGM Player at all? I picked up a GB Micro for cheap recently.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:42 am
Maxim wrote
Fixed :O

I remember it starting about 10 years ago. When the "it" is removed, due to the subject already having been established earlier in the sentence, the sentence becomes scarily ambiguous.

Oh Maxim sorry about my LMAO comment, I was rather confused when I read your unedited post, your right it was ambiguous.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 pm
DMEnduro wrote
Will you be updating the GBA VGM Player at all? I picked up a GB Micro for cheap recently.

Kuwanger's fork is probably your best bet - except all his zips are corrupted, maybe you can email him about that.

I'd actually forgotten I'd made a beta 0.2. It supports some compression (on the assumption that the uncompressed file fits in RAM, all released SMS/GG tracks do) and plays BBC/SG-1000/Colecovision noise properly. It also changes the lock-unlock state cycle to lock-lock with screen off-unlock but I have no idea if it saved any power. And the beta probably still has colour profiling turned on.

Overall, though, this was always a rather "ghetto" solution to mobile VGM playback (I had a GBA and flashcart but no portable music player). The sampling rate is quite low (I think about 20kHz) due to CPU limitations. The GBA can't output particularly powerful sound either. Transcoding from Winamp will always give you better quality and if you have any kind of portable music player (I use a mobile phone with a memory card slot) that's probably the way to go, the sound will be better and the UI will too.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:03 am
I actually found that whilst looking for pogoshell plugins.
Sure it's "ghetto", but I'm doing it for the novelty value, anybody can put mp3s on their phone.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!