Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Which to buy, Mark III or Japanese/American Master System?

Reply to topic
Which to buy, Mark III or Japanese/American Master System?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 pm
I'm looking to purchase a Master System of some kind, finally lol, but I can't decide if I want to get a Mark III or Master System.

The reason I'm indecisive is because I really want to have SG-1000 backwards compatibility, so the Mark III seems like the obvious choice, but I don't like design of the Mark III, Master System looks much nicer to me.

Then Japanese Master System seems appealing as it looks just like the American/European Master System, however it has FM built in and as far as I am aware, there is no way to deactivate it.

Or if it's just not worth the hastle, I could get an American Master System, which would definitely be the cheapest, but I would loose SG-1000 compatibility and FM sound.

I'm open to any suggestions, including ones I haven't mentioned. Thanks!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:10 pm
The first suggestion that comes to mind is - buy all three!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:10 pm
Centrale wrote
The first suggestion that comes to mind is - buy all three!

If I was made of money, sure! But unfortunately, I am not :)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:35 pm
Understandable! Choosing only one, I think the Mark III will be the most bang for your buck, especially if you can score one with an FM Adapter. Although it isn't as sleek in appearance as the Master System, it's what inside that counts. And it's got its own unique style. I particularly like the little paragraph of explanatory text next to the cartridge slot, stating the console's purpose to the world.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm
Centrale wrote
Understandable! Choosing only one, I think the Mark III will be the most bang for your buck, especially if you can score one with an FM Adapter. Although it isn't as sleek in appearance as the Master System, it's what inside that counts. And it's got its own unique style. I particularly like the little paragraph of explanatory text next to the cartridge slot, stating the console's purpose to the world.

Alright, that's one vote for Mark III. Does it have any compatibility issues with American or European Carts?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 pm
Just to note: What I know, Mark III / SMS of all regions have backward compatibility with SG-1000. The only problem is the cartridge connectors are different between japanese and western models. Regional adapters for SMS are not so popular as the Famicom / NES adapters, and it's easier to find adapters to put western cartridges into the japanese console than the opposite. Putting SG-1000 ROMs into a Flash Cart is much more convenient in this point.

The main problem in running SG-1000 games in Mark III / SMS is the displayed color palettes are different if compared from running into the SG-1000 itself, as listed HERE.

Now thing about it: The japanese SMS cames with FM chip build-in and a jack to connect the 3D glasses without the need of the adapter (even it's easier to find the adpater without the glasses than the opposite), and have the turbo function in the place of the Reset button (in other worlds, no soft reset).

The Mark III is the original version: It don't have the Reset Button from the Western SMS, and the FM Unit is an add-on not included (you must buy it apart). The only "nice" part about the original Mark III is the comunication port used to connect the FM Unit, who is used to connect the keyboard too. The use of the keyborard is important only if you want to play F-16 Lighting Falcon in two players connecting two Mark III (it's the only SMS game to offer a link-up support, and the oldest console to feature this kind of link-up connection in my knowledge, beating the SMD's Tolerance Zero cable, and the NG's link feature in some cartridges). But you will need two copies of the game, two Mark III, two TVs, two keyboards, and one P2 cable (to connect the keyboards), who is not a cheap task for a single not-so-good game with such feature. You can check the link-up scheme HERE.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 pm
rouken wrote
Just to note: What I know, Mark III / SMS of all regions have backward compatibility with SG-1000. The only problem is the cartridge connectors are different between japanese and western models. Regional adapters for SMS are not so popular as the Famicom / NES adapters, and it's easier to find adapters to put western cartridges into the japanese console than the opposite. Putting SG-1000 ROMs into a Flash Cart is much more convenient in this point.

The main problem in running SG-1000 games in Mark III / SMS is the displayed color palettes are different if compared from running into the SG-1000 itself, as listed HERE.

Now thing about it: The japanese SMS cames with FM chip build-in and a jack to connect the 3D glasses without the need of the adapter (even it's easier to find the adpater without the glasses than the opposite), and have the turbo function in the place of the Reset button (in other worlds, no soft reset).

The Mark III is the original version: It don't have the Reset Button from the Western SMS, and the FM Unit is an add-on not included (you must buy it apart). The only "nice" part about the original Mark III is the comunication port used to connect the FM Unit, who is used to connect the keyboard too. The use of the keyborard is important only if you want to play F-16 Lighting Falcon in two players connecting two Mark III (it's the only SMS game to offer a link-up support, and the oldest console to feature this kind of link-up connection in my knowledge, beating the SMD's Tolerance Zero cable, and the NG's link feature in some cartridges). But you will need two copies of the game, two Mark III, two TVs, two keyboards, and one P2 cable (to connect the keyboards), who is not a cheap task for a single not-so-good game with such feature. You can check the link-up scheme HERE.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I had heard about the color issues, however I'm willing to live with it since its just too expensive to buy both a Master System and SG-1000, at least at the moment. I'm kind of leaning towards getting a Japanese Master System at this point, but I was wondering if it is possible to mod the system to add a switch between FM and PSG sound.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:30 am
How much are you aiming to spend? You can always get a non japanese master system and add an fm board to it. A bios swap is fairly easy if you want the japanese bios too for sg-1000 my card support.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:34 pm
R_Leo_1 wrote
I could get an American Master System, which would definitely be the cheapest, but I would loose SG-1000 compatibility and FM sound.

No, it's SG-1000 compatible. No FM sound, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 pm
The cartridge port is physically incompatible though.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:29 pm
sverx wrote
No, it's SG-1000 compatible. No FM sound, though.

I would really only be able to play the games through a flash cart since, like Maxim said, it has a different cartridge port.

wasup wrote
How much are you aiming to spend? You can always get a non japanese master system and add an fm board to it. A bios swap is fairly easy if you want the japanese bios too for sg-1000 my card support.

I am willing to spend a little over 100 for the console with ac adapter and controller. I had actually thought about adding the FM to the board, but the convience of SG-1000 games is a big determining factor.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:47 am
Maxim wrote
The cartridge port is physically incompatible though.

right - I thought he was using a Master EverDrive or similar.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!