SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Euphrates emulator

Reply to topic
Euphrates emulator
Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 am
Hi all,

I've written an emulator that supports the Sega Master System, Game Gear, and SG-1000. It's called Euphrates.

My ultimate goal with Euphrates is to make it very fast so I can use it as a platform for exploring AI techniques. The next step in this process will be implementing a dynamic recompiler. I've started on this, but I'm busy with other things right now so it will be a while before I can devote much time to this.

I'd love it if you guys could try Euphrates out and let me know any incompatibilities you find. Both in terms of games and your system - I've only run Euphrates on Macs.

However, I have to warn you that a really nice end-user experience is not currently and may never be a high priority for Euphrates. You'll have to compile from source, and you'll have to play with your keyboard.

If that doesn't scare you off, here's how to install:

1. Install Rust and associated tools by following the instructions for rustup. Forum rules won't let me post URLs, so just Google rustup and click the first link.

2. Install SDL2. Again, forum rules won't let me post URLs, so google SDL2 and click the first link.

3. Install Euphrates by doing 'cargo install euphrates_cli' on your command line. (Make sure cargo, which was installed in Step 1, is in your path.)

Note that step 3 will take a few minutes - compile times are currently slow.

Then you can play a game by doing 'euphrates rom --rom /PATH/TO/ROM'. Use WASDFG keys to play. P pauses. Space resets.

For more instructions, including how to save/load games, record gameplay, play Game Gear or SG-1000 ROMs or games using the Codemasters memory mapper, see the README for euphrates_cli. Unfortunately, again, forum rules won't let me post links, but you can go to github, find the user mikebenfield, the euphrates repository, and then the euphrates_cli folder.

(you can use just 'euphrates' on the command line instead of 'cargo run').

You can also do 'euphrates --help' on the command line.

Or ask me here if anything is unclear.

I'd love to hear any feedback you may have.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!