Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Developer blogs at SMSpower.org

Reply to topic
Developer blogs at SMSpower.org
Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:23 pm
So... what about SMSpower hosting developer blogs? Obviously, the most important consideration would be whether the site has the resources required; secondly, some folks other than me would have to be interested.

I've been thinking about blogging since I stopped harassing DMEnduro after the coding competition ended about the continuing adventures of coding my project. My collaboration with him (he did some great art) really helped make me accountable in terms of my productivity, and my project, though still far from done, made enormous leaps in that time. Prior to that my progress was desultory at best.

I've been thinking about starting a blog mostly for the purpose of recapitulating, to some small extent, that accountability - I obviously don't expect an audience, but imagining one should have some effect on me. And it couldn't hurt to share bits of code that could possibly help folks less experienced than I (there must be some!).

What do other folks think? Or should I just set up a MySpace and interweave accounts of my project with jpgs of Britney Spears gratifying gila monsters?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 pm
I would not mind hosting blogs but we'll have to find a proper blogging software, skin/tune it as we like, and have it kept to date to avoid security issues.

Now, let's suggest a more simple idea: why not using a forum thread as your own blog? "Developer Blog: Mike Cukan". Would be a regular forum thread. People can comment and I don't expect anyone would want to abuse the system. Of course, that's not a real blogging system, but it could be enough.

Unrelated: We now have a SVN server and we'd be glad to host SVN repository for Sega 8-bit related projects.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 pm
There is a phpBB mod for blogging but I don't think we need that enough to make it worth adding it. Our news is handled as a separate forum, allowing blog-like usage but we can't make a new forum for everyone who wants a blog. I think going to one of those free blog sites would be a good start, else make a dedicated thread as Bock suggested.
ok!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:30 am
Yeah, I figured it would be too much trouble, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Squeaky wheels and all.

I'll probably figure something out off-site, since I cringe at the thought of using the Developer's forum to spew the amount of logorrhea I intend.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:36 am
How about you make a blogger.com blog and, if you're allowed, some place here for a link to it (and other ones if anyone else makes one), e.g. could be a sticky post somewhere.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:22 am
I don't have anything to say about the actual blogging method, but I am still looking forward to this game. Need anything else done like a title screen or something?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:04 am
To expand on my earlier post, I would like to be able to do something like this - I'd find it useful, and it'd be good to use the same feature for other parts of the site (eg. Meka news, Meka WIP news, maybe all the various parts of the site with update history). However, I'm not so interested in having a full-on blog system - with pingbacks, trackbacks, blogrolls, and all those other made-up words.

The front page news is handled by some custom code I wrote to look up the last 6 new posts from the News forum. Compared to the old system (newspro circa 1995) we got the ability to have comments, RSS (feed discovery on the front page is on my to-do list) and to let those of us who rarely visit the front page see when some news has been posted. It does not offer more than those 6 latest posts in the blog style, after that you have to go to the forums.

This would be ideal to extend to a blog system were it not for the fact that it requires creating an entire forum for every blogger. I can set permissions to make those forums not show up on the forum index, but be otherwise usable. Then it'd just be a copy/paste/modify job to convert the front page script into a blog page. I'm not sure what impact this would have on the rest of the forums.

Another option would be to make a "blogs" forum where all "blogs" live (all the posts would be jumbled together), and modify the script to extract one user's posts from that forum. That probably wouldn't be too hard, and the impact would be low (assuming nobody does anything digg or slashdot-worthy), and it might make for a cleaner solution overall, but I'm not sure how nicely it'd allow things like browsing one person's old posts.

So I suppose what it comes down to is, would that be good enough for the purposes people would want to use it for?
  • Site Admin
Re: ok!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:56 pm
Mike Cukan wrote
I'll probably figure something out off-site, since I cringe at the thought of using the Developer's forum to spew the amount of logorrhea I intend.

Personnally I'd like to follow such logorrhea. :)
Introducing the Molecular Gastropod
Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:09 pm
http://themoleculargastropod.blogspot.com/

With annoyingly capitalized letters. Every single letter. EVERY DAY IS CAPS LOCK DAY AT MY BLOG. SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!!!

Oh, and DMEnduro, thanks for the offer, but I don't need any graphics right now - my first post explains what I am currently stuck on. I definitely am going to need you for more art, but I'll give you a heads up once the current nightmares are taken care of.

UPDATE: Huh, somehow blogger's caps lock key has been disengaged. You can now read my post without screaming.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:34 am
Mike I must say that blog has one cool name and is shear brilliance!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!