Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Cover variations

Reply to topic
Cover variations
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 am
Hi!!! This has probably been asked before, but I searched and didn't find the answer I was hoping to find. Anyway, I was looking at the scans for Choplifter and noticed that the European release has two covers that are named "NoR" and "R". I put them side by side and didn't notice any difference except that the color had a darker color blue than the other one. I know about the "No Limits" variation, but what do the others mean? Thanks and sorry if this has already been asked!!!
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 am
The (R) ("registered trademark") symbol next to the Sega logos.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:14 pm
Bump on this old topic.

Wanted to see about any consensus and/or clarification relating to this registered trademark variation deal.

Regarding EU SMS releases, some games in the original grid box may have these three versions:
- original release with Sega logo
- release with registered trademark symbol on Sega logo
- release with registered trademark symbol and No Limits text on the back

In most catalogs, this is put down as a cover variation... however, I have encountered some instances where this (R) logo difference is on the cart label as well. Is it known whether or not the carts with plain Sega logo only appeared in the original releases, and that the carts with the Sega (R) logo only appeared in the (R) boxes (R and No Limits)?

Or is there any situations where either a Sega or Sega (R) cart label is known to exist but not the other, and of a title that has the Sega and Sega (R) box art variation?

It appears to be a separate run from later versions that had either 6 or 8 languages on the back, so far it seems those games do not have this trademark thing to deal with.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 am
I will check on my sealed games if I can find some with the R on the box and or not on the cartidge
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:55 am
We don't have good information on the cartridge labels - scans are welcome. I'd imagine the cart would match the label because I'd expect them to manufacture the same number of each.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:26 am
Tripredacus wrote
Bump on this old topic.

Wanted to see about any consensus and/or clarification relating to this registered trademark variation deal.

Regarding EU SMS releases, some games in the original grid box may have these three versions:
- original release with Sega logo
- release with registered trademark symbol on Sega logo
- release with registered trademark symbol and No Limits text on the back

In most catalogs, this is put down as a cover variation... however, I have encountered some instances where this (R) logo difference is on the cart label as well. Is it known whether or not the carts with plain Sega logo only appeared in the original releases, and that the carts with the Sega (R) logo only appeared in the (R) boxes (R and No Limits)?

Or is there any situations where either a Sega or Sega (R) cart label is known to exist but not the other, and of a title that has the Sega and Sega (R) box art variation?

It appears to be a separate run from later versions that had either 6 or 8 languages on the back, so far it seems those games do not have this trademark thing to deal with.

This is a subject that interests me and I'm still, slowly, tracking them all down. I made this thread on sega8bit to store the info http://shinobiman.proboards.com/thread/10465/1986-1990-european-variations-needed

I've not gone as far as to note if some do or do not have R or no
R cart labels/ manuals but I have attempted to make my own collection 100% correct. In some cases I suspect certain things don't exist for example I think all Spellcaster cart labels and manuals have R despite there being a no R cover.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 pm
Thanks I will take a look at that list. There are some on there that I'm not even aware of, the "Service Mark" releases in Europe, only the ones in the US.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!