Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - GG Aleste II ( Repro cart) ?

Reply to topic
GG Aleste II ( Repro cart) ?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 pm
Everything about this game seems to be the Japanese release, Box, manual, sticker,..however, upon booting up, Power Strike 2 shows up on the title screen rather than GG Aleste II.

The GG has no region lock, so could this be a reproduction or someone switching out boards? If it were a cart only then I could see someone swapping cart artwork, but the entire package.

It was only released in the EU and Japan ( I think ).
Not a big deal but still bugging me

Any ideas?
IMG_3081.JPG (137.82 KB)
Title Screen
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3083.JPG (92.17 KB)
Cart
IMG_3083.JPG

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 pm
That is kinda weird indeed , your cart looks jap while your game is the european version i think... maybe someone swapped the board or something :s

That game is ultra good!
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:30 am
The screen display Power Strike II because you're using a European or US Game Gear, if you use a Japanese Game Gear you will have GG Aleste II as title.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:32 am
Yeah, I need to hunt down a security screwdriver and see if there's any identifying marks on the board itself.

It was from Spain and aside from the title screen I don't think there are any game play differences. Probably ruins any collectible value, but yeah, the game is a really top shooter.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:00 am
The screen display Power Strike II because you're using a European or US Game Gear, if you use a Japanese Game Gear you will have GG Aleste II as title.

I wasn't even aware that the GG had any region coding.
So like the early Mega Drive games that would switch between languages depending on the console itself.

Thanks for that.
Now things are making a bit more sense. ( and I apparently have some homework to do on hardware )

Very much appreciated!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:23 am
That's all explained then . Pretty cool , i also wasn't aware that the game gear had region coding , don't think the master system has any.

Anyways , enjoy your game , it's really good! :D
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:57 am
This is how the original game behave. It is the same ROM for both Japanese and European version and it selects the title screen according to the Game Gear region.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:27 pm
This is how the original game behave. It is the same ROM for both Japanese and European version and it selects the title screen according to the Game Gear region.

Too bad game text didn't react the same way, especially with some RPGs, but due to the cart size I'm not sure how realistic that would have been.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 am
Filipe Santos wrote
That's all explained then . Pretty cool , i also wasn't aware that the game gear had region coding , don't think the master system has any.

The master system region coding was necessary to keep on game gear and mega drive, for backwards compatibility. You could put Power Strike 1 in a Master Gear Converter, insert that into a Japanese Game Gear, then the game will display Aleste.

There's a few other effects too. master system light phaser won't work in japanese mode, mega drive games use it as a territory lockout, etc.

Although the video format on game gear is set to 60Hz-only, unless modded. It doesn't officially support 50Hz. (some kind of conversion takes place with a PAL TV tuner)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 pm
lumclaw wrote
Filipe Santos wrote

The master system region coding was necessary to keep on game gear and mega drive, for backwards compatibility. You could put Power Strike 1 in a Master Gear Converter, insert that into a Japanese Game Gear, then the game will display Aleste.

There's a few other effects too. master system light phaser won't work in japanese mode, mega drive games use it as a territory lockout, etc.

Although the video format on game gear is set to 60Hz-only, unless modded. It doesn't officially support 50Hz. (some kind of conversion takes place with a PAL TV tuner)

Interesting info. Cheers buddy!
Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 am
Revo wrote

Thats cool. I just used a power strike II cartridge in a jap console and it shows aleste II.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!