Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - installed a LCD screen from MCWill on my Game Gear, flashing 1 sec the turns off

Reply to topic
installed a LCD screen from MCWill on my Game Gear, flashing 1 sec the turns off
Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm
I've just installed a screen that i orderes from MCwill but after installation then, when i turn my game gear on the the screen flashed for about a second then it turns of.

I tested the 5 v test, and it said around 4,3 voltage.

Before i changed the LCD to mcwill then i did a capacitor replacement which i got from a guy from ebay, (this forum wont allow me to post a link. :( )

and that worked fine but wasent happy with the original screen so i decided to change the screen too to a LCD screen bought from MCwill.

uploaded a video of the the flashing on youtube:

Does anybody know could be wrong?

I have checked the wires 2-3 times and as far as i can see then they are placed correct.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 am
I'm having the same issue

I think the problem is the screen thinks the brightness wheel is in the off position, problem with mine is I don't have the brightness wire hooked up. I don't know if a dead brightness wheel would cause this issue but it's a good place to start.

I'm also going to try hooking up the VGA port on mine to see if video comes out of the VGA signals, if it does then I'm right and we just have to figure out how to get the screen to think the brightness wheel is in the off position. Hopefully it's not something that I have to hard mod and lose the VGA ability. Atleast if the VGA signal still works I can use it as a consolized game gear.

Hopefully this post helps
Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:39 am
i wouldnt hook vga up. u have a power fault. maybe u need to remove the transformer and all high voltage parts first? 4.3v is really low too....have any pics of ur recap?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:18 pm
I have installed several screens now, and only had a problem on the single asic model where after replacing the 2 resistors and 2 caps the game gear would not work anymore (had this twice). The clock signal was gone, and after placing the original components back, it came back to life.
Anyhow, to you problem, what I normally do (in order to isolate/detect problems in time) is first I do a full recap of the game gear. After this I make sure it's working 100%. Then I follow the instructions up to the point where you test for the 5V, one note one this, I don't do the brightness wires unless I install the vga connector, it's not required without the connector. At this point I insert a game and make sure the sound board is hooked up. The game should start, and although the screen is removed you should hear the sound, indication all things are working properly. Only then I start to install the screen and again test it before I do the wires of the buttons. When working properly I install the button wires and fix the screen in place. I don't like to use solder for this so I use a hot glue gun on the top 2 points, that is more than sufficient.
To prevent dust from the screen I install 2mm isolation tape bought from eBay on the shell which makes a nice seal between the shell and the lcd.

So in your case what the brightness wheel is definitely not the problem.
What I would do is desolder all wires and uninstall the screen. Then see if it works (sound). The 4.3V is definitely not correct and something is wrong here, I repaired many game gears and all are around 4.9v.
Could you post some pictures?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!