Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Problem with new v1.3 Master System

Reply to topic
Problem with new v1.3 Master System
Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 am
So, around 1 month ago, i was away on a family trip and i saw a master system on a flea market, buyed it for $50 CAD, gone back home 300km later and it was not powering on, no green light. The dude who was selling it was only selling VG stuff and said he tested in the night before. After opening it up and trying to reach the ic8 chip (could not reach it, but saw it looked not burned) i tried to see if i got power on the Power Supply, which be luck i did got at the time and was powering on with black screen but sound was working, just a few shot until green light not glowing anymore and no more power on the power supply (no more 12v), so i guessed it's mostly a combo of multiple problem, ordered a new modern power supply.

Fast forward to today, new power supply just came, it work fine (green light) but it has hard time to display the picture, most of the time, i have black screen with sound with RCA adapter. It required multiple power button or reset button push for video to show instead of just sound. But when it work, it seem to be laggy compared to rf (gameplay have delay, might be the tv) and have some time a glitch frame before continuing. I tried the rf switch box on channel 4 and have no problem with it, no lag or glitch screen. I was looking at the service guide on this website but it's really confusing to try to narrow down the problem without equipment nor electronic knowledge (i only have a degree in IT, not electronic) and computer or tablet are way more easier to diagnose than an old retro system. I suspect either something with a chip for rca (which one's the question) or problem with av detection. It might be the connector or cable but i doubt it since it do work some time (10% of the reset and powering on). So it could be a great help to know which chip to check, i don't think i have an oscillator.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:39 pm
What kind of TV are you using?
Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:35 pm
Well, using a 32" Sharp LCD 720p Crystal Display or something like that. I tested with N64 and it work fine, also tested a NES clone system and work fine. Seem there might be interrmittend problem with the RGB connector. My step father who's an eletrician said to clean the contact with some contact cleaner. Gonna try it soon when i get some new one.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:20 pm
Try using a regular CRT and see what happens.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 am
Was this problem every resolved? I seem to be having a similar problem.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!