SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MB_play V0.2 Music Re-player Demo for FM

Reply to topic
MB_play V0.2 Music Re-player Demo for FM
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 pm
Hi,

For my entry for the code competition I ported a re-player from the MSX to SMS. The music is made with a tracker named 'MoonBlaster 1.4'. This tracker support simultaneous playback of channels over de MSX-MUSIC and MSX-AUDIO expansions. Creating a stereo effect. The MSX-MUSIC expansion is exactly the same FM chip as found in (some) SMS'es. The only difference is the detection and the IO ports.

For the SMS I removed the playback over MSX-AUDIO, PSG drum support and stereo settings.

I created a music demo to show you what the re-player is capable of in its current state. At the moment there are still issues found of which we are not certain where the error lies. Almost every emulator around gives different results. Mainly the drums (frequencies) are a bottleneck.

The music is created by John Hassink who was as kind to provide me with some great music!

The sources are included and free to use. But the music files are not included. I will make a tutorial on how to use the re-player in the near future (hopefully with an improved re-player).

Have fun!

[PS: MEKA probably gives the best sound results at the moment.]
[PS2: I am not a real coder. So feel free to have a laugh at the code. ;) ]

If you want to hear more music made by John. check out these videos:

replay.PNG (8.12 KB)
Screenshot
replay.PNG
mbplay_v02.zip (20.4 KB)
MB-play V0.2 Music Re-player Demo
mbplay_source.zip (15.99 KB)
MB-play V0.2 source code

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am
That's fantastic! :-)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm
There is some lovely tunes in this thing, been listening them for a while now ^^
Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:43 am
Zipper wrote
Hi,

For my entry for the code competition I ported a re-player from the MSX to SMS. The music is made with a tracker named 'MoonBlaster 1.4'. This tracker support simultaneous playback of channels over de MSX-MUSIC and MSX-AUDIO expansions. Creating a stereo effect. The MSX-MUSIC expansion is exactly the same FM chip as found in (some) SMS'es. The only difference is the detection and the IO ports.

For the SMS I removed the playback over MSX-AUDIO, PSG drum support and stereo settings.

What kind of PSG drum support is there in MoonBlaster? The SMS SN76489 sound chip supports 3 noise frequencies, or 1024 if you tie the noise frequency to tone channel 3. With 16 volume levels as well, it's pretty comparable to the AY-3-8910 noise waveform.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:44 pm
rga24 wrote

What kind of PSG drum support is there in MoonBlaster? The SMS SN76489 sound chip supports 3 noise frequencies, or 1024 if you tie the noise frequency to tone channel 3. With 16 volume levels as well, it's pretty comparable to the AY-3-8910 noise waveform.

Moonblaster doesn't support SN76489 PSG but AY3-8910 PSG. PSG support in Moonblaster is very limited (not user friendly) btw.

It's possible so some conversion but I removed PSG from the re-player.

For my SMS project I decided to make use of the PSG+FM and make my own tracker:

It runs on the MSX but it can convert PSG noise values for SMS. Still need to finish the replayer and tracker though. ;)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!