Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game map viewer

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Game map viewer
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:03 am
http://wip2.smspower.org/Maps/Index

Previously, game maps were handled simply by displaying the full-size image inline. This has the disadvantage that the image can be very large and thus requires horizontal and vertical scrolling. Horizontal scrolling is generally worse than vertical.

I have now added a system whereby you see large images twice: once scaled down to fit, and then a size-restricted (500px tall) zoomed section. You can move your mouse over the small image to select where to see the large image.

This has the disadvantage that it does not fit well on small screens - it needs about 750px of vertical height in the worst case, which is a problem on a 1024x600 or non-fullscreen 1024x768 screen. (We are not supporting 800x600 anyway.)

You can always click on the small image to just open the large one directly, or right-click the zoomed section to see the regular image context menu ("view image in new tab", etc).

If you have JavaScript disabled, you will not see the zoomed map, but you can still click the scaled-down one.

Some questions...

- How bad is the vertical height restriction?
- Would this be a good scheme to use for scans as well?
- Does it work acceptably on your particular combination of platform/browser/plugins/settings? Large maps (e.g. Enduro Racer) may cause problems on restricted platforms anyway.
- Would something like this be preferable? (I think it is too great a barrier to viewing for all but the largest maps; but it does allow them to be viewed without requiring >500MB of RAM for the image.)
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:21 pm
Works fine for me. Tested in three browsers, all under XP SP2:
  • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; it-IT; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050919 Firefox/1.0.7
  • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.65 Safari/525.19
  • Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm
The cursor position appears to be miscalculated in Opera (10.1); the small preview rectangle is drawn some way off to the right of the actual mouse cursor, but the area shown in the full-size version of the map below matches this rectangle. The wider the screen, the further the rectangle moves from the cursor, so I guess it's a relative/absolute coordinates issue (if I reduce the width of the browser so the left hand edge of the reduced preview is as close to the left edge of the window as possible, the coordinates are calculated mostly correctly).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 pm
Grr :( That's the part that's a third-party supposed-to-be-perfect library...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!