Hi - I'm Anders!
I came here in 2013 on a quest to fix my faulty childhood Master System, but I quickly saw what the community could offer with regards to software development tools, hardware mods and friendly advice on the forums! So I have stayed ever since, enjoying all the technical and community-related aspects of my only/favorite console. And my childhood system? It was eventually fixed, and - of course - heavily modded! :)
At this page I list some of my humble contributions to the SMS-Power! community.
- Astroswab - Blast asteroids, eat cakes and save the day! My Swabby vs. Astrosmash game for the SMS-Power coding compo in 2018. Full game, instructions and assembler source code here: Astroswab's homebrew page.
- Swabby: A Snail Tale - my shoot 'em up entry to the SMS-Power coding compo in 2016. Do you have what it takes to guide our little snail past three action-packed rounds? Find out at Swabby's homebrew page.
- Versus - a Pong clone for the Sega Master System. Players: 1-2. Includes homedrawn characters to spice up the classic gameplay. Get it, including source, at Versus' homebrew page.
- Racer - a second generation racing game for your third generation console! I participated in the 2015 compo with this game. You can view Racer's Homebrew Page, its discussion thread or the rather detailed tutorial on how to (re-)create the game in five steps.
- Trainers: Do it yourself! Read this tutorial to learn how to make trainer versions of Altered Beast and Golden Axe for the Master System. It is all about ROM hacking and hex-number crunching.
- Block Quest a.k.a. Knights of the Square. This was my first real attempt at creating a game for the SMS. I started from a simple, hand-coded hardware sprite and some mock-ups, and the community was really supportive and encouraging, as is visible in Block Quest's development thread. To this day it is still unfinished, but I keep it in the back of my head, with the hopes of finishing it some day. Meanwhile, you can download the game (and source) from Block Quest's homebrew page.
- School Table Arcade Setup This is something I always dreamt of as a kid: Building an arcade machine cabinet for my dear Master System. As the name implies, I did not succeed in persuading my wife into letting me have a real arcade cabinet in the living room, but somehow building arcade controls, a speaker, an upscaler unit, monitor, and of course a 60 hz modded SMSII, into an old school table, somehow passed under the radar :) Nothing beats playing a game like Fantasy Zone on this baby. And it stands in an honorful place between the kitchen and the dining table. Oh good life! Go to the arcade table's forum thread to see the pictures, read more, and comment.
- Snail II. This little demo is a reaction to Block Quest. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could actually work with sprites larger than 8x8 pixels. Get the demo and source from Snail II's homebrew page.
hang-on on the forums