Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Early EU SMS have FM rumor ...?

Reply to topic
Early EU SMS have FM rumor ...?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am
Long ago I read that some EU SMS may have had FM chip in them, is there any truth behind it or its just a baseless rumor ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:22 am
Baseless rumor.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:10 pm
I can confirm that the US SMS first version does not have it. The earlier SMS has two pieces of copper that touch for the Pause and Reset buttons, as opposed to having real buttons. There is also a different video chip (though very similiar to the one used in later SMS). Also, no game is in the BIOS. Just a message instructing you how to insert a cartridge. There's probably a few other obvious differences but I can't remember them all.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:21 pm
that settles it then ^^

Sega was a bit dumb to leave out the YM from EU and US machines.

I have a big dilemma right now, which to take : GG or SMS. GG has audio lines on cartslot, and YMF288 will rock my socks in the cart... but the screen resolution is really low...
Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:08 pm
TmEE wrote
that settles it then ^^

Sega was a bit dumb to leave out the YM from EU and US machines.

I have a big dilemma right now, which to take : GG or SMS. GG has audio lines on cartslot, and YMF288 will rock my socks in the cart... but the screen resolution is really low...

What are you doing?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am
I'm not sure if the audio lines work in GG mode...
Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:14 pm
I don't think there's any reason for the audio lines not to work in GG mode, but I should really check it up first...

I am doing a run 'n' gun type game, a prequel to my MD project. It will end up on a cart and I aim for at least 1000 cartridges, however I am not sure if that number is reachable and there's time until that anyway
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 pm
Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, but I would develop the game for the Master System if I were you. Unless you really have a specific visual style that needs the extra GG colour palette, the SMS screen size is just much less limiting. How many people still play on an actual Game Gear, or even have one that still works properly? 1000 is a hell of a lot of carts.

You could always put FM and normal music in the game, just like Sega did. So those with a Japanese console, or one of the add on boards that are sold on here could hear the FM and everyone else hears the PSG.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:28 pm
There are not a whole lot of non JP machines that got FM, perhaps hundred.
Supporting JP machines will require manufacture of different carts, you cannot expect people use cart adaptors, unless its a MD, but due to an on-cart peripheral I plan to have to increase VDP data bandwidth (DMA controller) it will be incompatible with it, and that will reduce potential sales...
in any case this is a future thing, I am nowhere near full game right now, I got plenty of tools to write, including sound tools, plus lot of code to write.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 pm
TmEE wrote
I am doing a run 'n' gun type game, a prequel to my MD project. It will end up on a cart and I aim for at least 1000 cartridges, however I am not sure if that number is reachable and there's time until that anyway

Game Gear hardware is unreliable. Releasing commercial software for it would be a technical support nigtmare. Don't waste your time and money!
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am
Yes exactly, they're all failing right now, and units getting capacitors replaced aren't in large numbers...
The only attractive aspect about GG is the presence of audio lines on the cartslot, that is the only thing. More colors is not much use when I still got 16+15 on screen like SMS, you can do nice gradients on the BG and a bit nicer shading but that is pretty much it...
SMS cart with headphone connector is not exactly optimal, especially since SMS2 only has RF and no TV uses some AV input for sound in RF and not everyone has amps etc. around.
In any case my work is currently done only on SMS
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 am
Tell us a bit more about your game! (^_^)

1000 carts sounds interesting/serious, I wouldn't mind firing up something new on my Master System.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 am
Its a bit too early to go into details, but you play as a insane rat trying to avenge death of his family by blowing up the biggest rat poison factory. Simplicity is beauty :P
1000 carts is definitely the upper limit, 500 is definitely going to be reachable, but the more carts are made the cheaper they will be and cheaper price will sell more...
Lack of MD support is going to hurt things, but there's no way around it that does not involve soldering some wires
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:25 pm
playgeneration wrote
How many people still play on an actual Game Gear, or even have one that still works properly?

No offence taken. I personally own seven, including a limited edition red one, and about 300 games and accessories. There are also plenty of people on this forum who own a lot more than that.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:44 pm
playgeneration wrote

You could always put FM and normal music in the game, just like Sega did. So those with a Japanese console, or one of the add on boards that are sold on here could hear the FM and everyone else hears the PSG.

Or he could bundle it with the adaptor.

Shame there's no adaptors that add the Game Gear palette to the SMS. =|
Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 pm
Adaptor installation requires disassembly and soldering in the SMS, not something average person will achieve on their own.
When you want more colors out of SMS you need a 32X equivalent which is a bad idea
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:41 pm
TmEE wrote
T
Supporting JP machines will require manufacture of different carts

Not really, with some planning you can make a double-ended PCB.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!