SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Korean again - sjugg

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Korean again - sjugg
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:14 pm

Me and Bock have been trying to figure this one out. (It's an SMS mode Korean GG Street Fighter clone.) The title is

장풍 II

which seems not to be a phonetic representation. Under different romanisation schemes it comes out very differently, but under the 2000 Revised Romanization it seems to be "jang pung".

Can anyone (probably our friend sjugg) confirm/correct this?

Maxim
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:04 pm
I have that on a 16-1 GG pirate cart. Together with Super boy 2 and Bomb jack, etc. Graphicly okay, plays like s***.

S.F
  • Site Admin
jang pung revealed
Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:41 pm
>

> Me and Bock have been trying to figure this one out. (It's an SMS mode Korean GG Street Fighter clone.) The title is "장풍 II" which seems not to be a phonetic representation. Under different romanisation schemes it comes out very differently, but under the 2000 Revised Romanization it seems to be "jang pung".

> Can anyone (probably our friend sjugg) confirm/correct this?

OK, no reply but a bored trawl through Google finds that it's a sort of Korean martial arts movie magical power, translated as "palm wind" or "palm blast".

Palm-blast: Phe masters can concentrate their ch’i energy attained through training on their hands, and blast it from their palms like laser beams. This technique is referred to in Korean as “palm-wind,” or “jang-pung.”

It was notably used in a recent (South, obviously) Korean movie called "Arahan", which is reasonably well-known internationally (if not by me).

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:10 pm
I got this from Leadkun, Korean Sega fan:

'Jang-Poong' means a blow of energy from hands, and it appears in some oriental fantasy novels or movies.
When Street Fighter 2 got popular in Korea, many people didn't know the actual name of special moves.
So Ryu's Hadoken(Fireball) was called 'Jang-Poong' because it's the same kind of energy blow.
And the word 'Jang-Poong' became popular either, so the copy game of SF2 in SMS has its name.

Thanks!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!