Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Compose music ?

Reply to topic
Seubz
Compose music ?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:44 pm
Hello all,

I'd like to know if there is a way to compose original vgm files... or at least wave files using the same instruments. I would like to be able to create a new music which sounds exactly like a master system song. Does somebody have any experience about this ? Thank you.

Seubz.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:53 pm
See this thread:

MOD2PSG2

It is very similar to creating MOD-style music.
Seubz
Thanks
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:14 pm
Thanks a lot, I will definitely make use of this program !

I'm in the process of creating a new WonderBoy 3 game for Windows/MacOSX and probably Linux. By new WonderBoy3 this means same story, same graphics, but different maps and secrets, and maybe something more :) The fans of the original game will be happy to play the new game I hope, and others will discover it... but the old graphics might not help young players to get into the game ;)

I hope to finish this project before mid-2006, as it is already quite advanced by now. If anyone is interested to work on the maps with me, you can mail me at ronsses@AT@esiee.fr. I'm already working with a music composer for one or two extra songs, but I plan to use the songs from the original. I converted the VGM files I found in the archive to .ogg and this works well, except that they do not loop well... so if anyone knows how to create a wave file (or mp3 / ogg) out of a vgm that plays in a loop, please tell me !

Thank you,
Sébastien.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:55 pm
By examining the VGM looping data, you could split the music into two files, one for the intro and one for the loop. Then your code just has to play file A, followed by file B, repeated.

It would be better if you could play the VGM files directly. My Winamp plugin in_vgm includes some code to do this although it's not immediately simple to use because it's not just loadvgm() and updatebuffer() functions. There is a library called libvgm based on my code but I don't know how good it is.

There is no way to specify in a wave, MP3 or OGG file that it should repeat/loop at all.
Seubz
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Hello,

I will follow your advice and make two files... by saying playing mp3 in a loop, I just meant a single wave type file that could be repeated without hearing the end->start passage.

I also thought playing vgm directly could be a good idea, but as I would also like to play remasterized versions of the wb3 songs, I think I will just keep on using FMod.

Anyway, thanks for the info Maxim,
Sébastien.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!