Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Whack 'Em Smack 'Em Byrons, now for your SG-1000!

Reply to topic
Whack 'Em Smack 'Em Byrons, now for your SG-1000!
Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:18 pm
https://arugulaz.itch.io/whack-em-smack-em-byrons

"Remember me...?"
"I don't remember much, buddy, and you're no looker!"

Er, anyway. I've been plugging away at my very own video game, using the CV Basic development environment. Recently, the creator of CV Basic extended support to both the MSX and the obscure SG-1000, since those systems and the ColecoVision are so similar.

I've taken the liberty of adding a fun Sega-themed intro based on the Sega CD start screen. What I haven't added to any version is sound, but I'd like to do that in the future! I just don't really know how to make music and sound effects. Anyone got some expertise in that department? I've got someone looking at the ColecoVision version, but it'd be neat if the SG-1000 version was different in more ways than just the intro.

Enjoy! This took the better part of a month to code, even with far more advanced tools than programmers had access to when the ColecoVision and SG-1000 were still in stores.
Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:22 am
ArugulaZ wrote

"Remember me...?"

Er, anyway. I've been plugging away at my very own video game, using the CV Basic development environment. Recently, the creator of CV Basic extended support to both the MSX and the obscure SG-1000, since those systems and the ColecoVision are so similar.

I've taken the liberty of adding a fun Sega-themed intro based on the Sega CD start screen. What I haven't added to any version is sound, but I'd like to do that in the future! I just don't really know how to make music and sound effects. Anyone got some expertise in that department? I've got someone looking at the ColecoVision version, but it'd be neat if the SG-1000 version was different in more ways than just the intro.

Enjoy! This took the better part of a month to code, even with far more advanced tools than programmers had access to when the ColecoVision and SG-1000 were still in stores.

Lovely game!
Are you using latest version of CVBasic?
Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:29 am
siriokds wrote
ArugulaZ wrote

"Remember me...?"

Lovely game!

No, but I'll probably update to 5.0 in the near future. I never intended the game to be more than 32K, but with that intro, it weighs in at 30K, and 2K probably isn't realistically enough for music. (Maaaybe sound effects.)

The new CV Basic is supposed to let you have up to 8 megabits on a cartridge, potentially letting you build a game as large as Strider on the Genesis. I don't know if that applies to SG-1000 specifically, but since the SG-1000 practically IS a ColecoVision, it should.
Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2024 12:29 pm
ArugulaZ wrote
siriokds wrote
ArugulaZ wrote

"Remember me...?"

Lovely game!

No, but I'll probably update to 5.0 in the near future. I never intended the game to be more than 32K, but with that intro, it weighs in at 30K, and 2K probably isn't realistically enough for music. (Maaaybe sound effects.)

The new CV Basic is supposed to let you have up to 8 megabits on a cartridge, potentially letting you build a game as large as Strider on the Genesis. I don't know if that applies to SG-1000 specifically, but since the SG-1000 practically IS a ColecoVision, it should.

30KB is a lot. Have you compressed your data?
Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:05 am
Pretty close to being finished with this game, for those interested! By the way, I've added sound effects to the SG-1000 intro. I just need to port over all the work I've done on the ColecoVision version and I'll have it all wrapped up. (Unless I add more music. I really need to resist the temptation to do that.)

So, there are like Sega game making competitions here on SMSPower? That includes the SG-1000, right?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:40 am
Yes, we have competitions every year, deadline March 27th.
It's done! Ha ha!
Post Posted: Today at 2:46 am
If you care, if you dare, the SG-1000 version of Whack 'Em Smack 'Em Byrons is finished. You can download it from my Itch.IO page below.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!