Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear sound bar

Reply to topic
Game Gear sound bar
Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:00 pm
I had this idea for a while and I thought I'd post it here just to hear if it's at all possible.

Would it be possible to: design/build a small horizontal bar (which would rest on top of the GG) with a built-in speaker that has a headphone/mini jack connector.

Now, here's the kicker: it wouldn't output the regular audio, but audio with enhanced sound effects. Let's take NBA Jam for example. The GG outputs a regular sound blip for the 'He's on fire!' sample. This is picked up and recognized by the hardware, which doesn't output it but rather the arcade quality audio sample in its internal memory.

Of course you'd have to program it to make it work for every game, but you could have sample packs that you'd upload to its internal memory that would be triggered by certain regular GG sound effects.

Like said, just to hear if such a thing would be at all possible and if so, how hard it would be. Would latency be a problem?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:07 pm
You could make hacks of games that would write to the gear to gear port to trigger samples this way. It might be easier than trying to detect SFX.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:25 pm
A cartridge adapter would allow you to sniff the bus, so you could detect the cartridge that was inserted and have a table of memory or I/O signatures which triggered playback.

A hell of a project to pull off, but in just crazy enough it might work territory I reckon.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:41 am
Thanks for your replies! I had thought about a plug through for cartridges to bypass the headphones but I didn't know you could also use the Gear-to-Gear port!

For stability of the bar itself you could use both the phone and GtG port. Or a plug through cartridge with a built-in speaker.

Interesting to know it IS at least possible. Now for someone interested to actually build it ...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!