Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Dynamite Headdy, HIDDEN MENUS !!!

Reply to topic
Dynamite Headdy, HIDDEN MENUS !!!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:22 am
Last edited by BcnAbel76 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hello, I discovered those hidden menus at Dynamite Headdy SMS version, then applied it to Game Gear Version:

(Maybe you must practice a bit to unlock it)

GAME GEAR:

SOUNDTEST:

- At init game, in SEGA Logo before hearing a sound, press "LEFT + 2"
- In title screen you see "80" , you can change value for Sound Test

SELECT STAGE

- At init game, in SEGA Logo before hearing a sound, press "UP + 2"
- AT Treasure logo, before hearing a sound, press "UP", "DOWN", "RIGHT", "LEFT", "UP", "DOWN", "RIGHT", "LEFT"
- In title screen you see "1 1" , you can change value for Select Stage

NO DAMAGE (INVULNERABILITY)

- At init game, in SEGA Logo before hearing a sound, press "UP + 2"
- Then press "DOWN + 1"
- AT Treasure logo, before hearing a sound, press "UP", "DOWN", "RIGHT", "LEFT", "UP", "DOWN", "RIGHT", "LEFT"
- In title screen you see "1 1" "NO DMG", for select screen and no damage activated

MASTER SYSTEM (Original ROM):

SOUNDTEST:

- At init game, in Title Screen press "LEFT + 2"
- You see "80" , you can change value for Sound Test

SELECT STAGE:

- Not avaliable

- Not avaliable

Master System version: I hacked game and restored TREASURE LOGO screen and I can unlock Select Stage, I'll try to restore rest of cheats menu

UPDATED!!! Download IPS Patch

MASTER SYSTEM (Patched ROM):

SOUNDTEST:

- In Title Screen press "LEFT + 2"
- You see "80" , you can change value for Sound Test

SELECT STAGE

- In title screen you see "1 1" , you can change value for Select Stage

- After Treasure logo and game goes to title screen press "UP + 1 + 2"
- In title screen you see "1 1" "NO DMG", for select screen and no damage activated

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:07 am
So very cool! The stage select is especially useful jn a challenging game such as this, thanks!!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:23 am
Well done, I love it when undiscovered cheats are found, always interesting to get insight into how these games are made.

Out of curiosity, how does one go about cheat hunting for a console like the master system? Are you watching RAM changes when you press certain buttons and working backwards or can you do something more sophisticated like break to debugger when certain buttons are pressed and try and disassemble?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:43 am
The stage select cheat does work on the Master System if you perform the input sequence at the title screen. I can't get the no damage cheat to work though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:16 pm
I have two approaches to finding cheats: first, if you find some suspicious text (like “SOUND TEST”) in the ROM, you can try to work backwards in a disassembly to find the routine that uses it and any RAM variables or code that trigger it; or you can work forward by assuming that it is triggered by button presses.

If the latter, it is either using the same button press handling code as the main game - so you can search for accesses to the button state RAM variables in a disassembly, and reject any that are expected - or it is not, so you can search for accesses to the relevant ports outside the usual place. Typically cheats might be entered on startup (so the check is unique to one place in the game) or as a sequence at a certain screen (so again the place of interest is only hit in that place). Thus you can set breakpoints on all the places you are suspicious of and see when they are hit if it is expected or unusual.

After that you can trace through the code to find what the button presses are compared to.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:44 pm
Edited first post with new patch :)
Enjoy it and comment

Hillbert wrote
Well done, I love it when undiscovered cheats are found, always interesting to get insight into how these games are made.

Out of curiosity, how does one go about cheat hunting for a console like the master system? Are you watching RAM changes when you press certain buttons and working backwards or can you do something more sophisticated like break to debugger when certain buttons are pressed and try and disassemble?

I saw "unused" tile "No DMG" loaded in VRAM, I saw pad port address and suspicious RAM, compare it, and activate RAM with values into ROM,then cheat is active, then I traced port address to determinate combination.

ian wrote
The stage select cheat does work on the Master System if you perform the input sequence at the title screen. I can't get the no damage cheat to work though.

Really! You are ultrafast! I can not unlock select stage cheat.
Damage cheat needed more step to unlock loaded in SEGA logo, and MS version it is not loaded.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!