Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Quick question about sprite limitations

Reply to topic
Quick question about sprite limitations
Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:44 pm
Really briefly I wanted to get some clarity on something before i made another mistake coding and creating sprite sheets.
I am aware that sprites cannot be X or Y flipped like tiles, so any sprites going left, right, up, or down need to keep that in mind, but is there a similar limitation to partial sprite animations? For example, I have a character sprite that is 24 pixels tall and 16 pixels wide. the top four 8x8 sections of the sprite do not change while walking, only the bottom two sections for the legs. Do I need to include a the rest of the body again in the sprite sheet even though it does not change?

Visual aid:
1   2                 1    2
3   4                 3    4
5   6                 7    8

sprite when standing vs sprite when walking. sprite animates by flipping back and forth between the two. Can sprite sheet be organized like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, or does it need to be organized like 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 7 8?[/code]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:55 pm
You can mix and match any 8x8 tiles as you wish. However, if you are aiming to stream tiles then it may get complicated to also reuse them in different positions.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:01 pm
Maxim wrote
You can mix and match any 8x8 tiles as you wish. However, if you are aiming to stream tiles then it may get complicated to also reuse them in different positions.

I see, thank you for the clarification!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!