Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Advice on French Master System 2/ MS Super Compact

Reply to topic
Advice on French Master System 2/ MS Super Compact
Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:07 am
Hi all - I'm having a clear out and came across a French SMS 2, which as you know is Secam rather than Pal or NTSC.

I do have the RGB Secam cable (Model 3085) but the lead is faulty as I can get sound from the unit but no picture.

If the lead was working, would it display a black & white picture like it would with a Brazilian MS on a PAL TV?

I also came across a Master System Super Compact which displays a black & white picture but no sound! I got quite a good picture from the unit with an aerial lead, so I'm not sure why there isn't sound! Any ideas on this one guys?

Cheers!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:17 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
French systems are not SECAM, they are 50Hz RGB. It will work on any TV that can handle RGB at 50Hz - apparently it was common for European TVs to have RGB (SCART) and handle 50Hz and 60Hz but American ones would rarely do these things.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:19 pm
Maxim wrote
French systems are not SECAM, they are 50Hz RGB.

Ok so should display in full colour on a PAL TV then?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:20 pm
Yes, unless your TV doesn't support RGB.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:24 pm
Thanks, I can select RGB on my TV but like I say I just get sound, just need a replacement cable I think.
Advice on French Master System 2/ MS Super Compact
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:25 am
Are you plugging it into the Component input of your TV by chance? Because unless it's a SCART connector the red, green, blue coloured RCA inputs on modern TV's are component (YPbPr) inputs and not actually RBG.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 am
The MS Compact will probably be PAL-M and won't work on Euro PAL TVs, giving the monochrome picture with no sound that you describe.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 am
segasonic wrote
The MS Compact will probably be PAL-M and won't work on Euro PAL TVs, giving the monochrome picture with no sound that you describe.

I have a SMS Handy which plays in black and white, but has sound. I'm not sure if something internal sound capacities or whatever is inside is faulty!

Has anyone else in Europe with a MS Compact had a similar problem?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:06 am
asynchronous wrote
Are you plugging it into the Component input of your TV by chance? Because unless it's a SCART connector the red, green, blue coloured RCA inputs on modern TV's are component (YPbPr) inputs and not actually RBG.

The Sega RGB cable model 3085 is fitted with a scart socket to plug into a TV. I have selected RGB input on the TV too. It would be good to know if someone with a RGB Model SMS in the UK gets a picture on a PAL TV.

I've found a few on Ebay but they are expensive as most people in France won't ship to the UK. I'm not sure if it's worth the gamble buying a replacement anyway!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:08 pm
The French RVB cable is the best RGB cable because the box has the right stuff in it to convert the voltage levels. It’s good for all SMS1s including Japanese ones.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:42 pm
I've just found some RGB cables in my loft and I can only get sound out of the MS 2, so I'm assuming I have a faulty SMS Console.

The RGB lead I got with the system works great on my other consoles. I never thought it might have been the console.

I've opened up and apart from the rusty shielding inside I can't see anything obvious wrong with it. Might be a good project for someone to fix it.

I don't want to throw it away, let me know if somebody would like the console...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!