Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Game Gear Gear-to-Gear emulation?

Reply to topic
Sega Game Gear Gear-to-Gear emulation?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm
The Sega Game Gear is my favorite handheld, but I can't deny that I absolutely hate collecting real Game Gears due to the stupid leaking capacitor issues. My first Game Gear started powering itself off briefly after the screen would go insane. My next one has a high pitched whine (mostly noticeable only when no sound effects are playing) that is outputted by the speaker and headphone jack and the sound is noticeably quieter than my first Game gear was before it died. This Game Gear also keeps crashing on me lately with every game I own for it, sometimes right after TMSS and other times as late as twenty minutes into a game of The GG Shinobi and Fantasy Zone Gear. My latest unit that I picked up from the same guy who sold me my first one back in 2014 has really bad vertical ghosting (worse than any Game Gear I've ever seen before) and the sound is barely audible. When amplifying the headphone jack to an extreme, I noticed that the stereo channels have inconsistent volume levels as well. Oh, and both have pretty worn out buttons. Why do I keep buying these things? Because I love the handheld too much to let these flaws stop me.

I can't afford to recap my Game Gears currently and they aren't in good enough condition for me to want to bother. I also have no knowledge of recapping so I'd feel much safer going with a trusted GG repair guy online and send him two sealed new in box GGs for the best possible Game Gears in 2019 for my enjoyment.

I have the Game Gear link cable so now that I have two barely functioning units I can try out link play which has been a lot of fun, but until I get repaired units this really isn't ideal. My question is, do any emulators support Game Gear link play and do they also support netplay? The link cable is a major part of the GG's preservation in my opinion so I really hope there is an option out there. I tried Kega Fusion, but it didn't seem to work. Let me know if anyone knows if an emulator I could use. Thanks guys.

P.S. Sorry for that long rant. I just needed to get some built-up frustration off my chest XD
Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm
Retrocopy claims to have Gear-toGear support, but I never tested this emulator.

I would prefer Meka could not just have Gear-to-Gear support (with option to load individual ROM for each player to make the Player 2 loads no-music patched ROMs), but F-16 Fighting Falcon's link support as well. But Book commented once to add this feature, the emulator must be all redone, once Meka was not programmed to have such feature in mind from the start. :(

I would love to try Crystal Warrios's 2 Players mode, and test the secret Squinky Tennis mini-game code from a couple of Codemasters games.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:42 pm
I disassembled Squinky Tennis and modified it to work as a normal game with one player to examine it at work. It is quite terrible, a very basic Pong clone.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!