Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tech - Game Gear question

Reply to topic
Tech - Game Gear question
Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:24 pm
I recently pickup a VA5 Sega Game Gear with nearly a flawless screen image. I played the first two Sonic games and loved it. I went to install a cap kit for future installation of game gear mods that are out there.

It still booting up because there is sound but the video quality was lost. I heated up the lcd connector bars then I lost all of the image only showing bright white screen : (

I doubled checked my work but everything was installed correctly however its playing blindly now. I did a continuity test and I have three components that indicate continuity, a beeeeep sound from meter, I don't know if that is good or bad. I wanted to ask if someone knows about those components if they are to have any continuity or not.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 pm
Those LCD connector bars are chip on glass. If you heated that up and it died, then the screen is completely dead. There is no saving it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Heating those up is never a good idea if the unit was working before you started working on it. Should only ever screw with that if you have lines of pixels missing, and the screen is already dead. Even if some missing lines come back at first, they'll eventually fade out again regardless. =(

The best thing to do with it now is remove the screen and either install a game gear TV board, and a new screen or use it for a consolized Game Gear TV system.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:29 am
Unfortunately your screen is now dead. Check out (google) the McWill and GGLCD lcd-replacements for the GameGear, they are amazing quality and once fitted - you will be glad that things happened the way they did. :)

best regards,
- dink
Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:33 pm
Thanks, I'll just get a GG TV board for now and use as a test bed to check if any video signal is obtainable on this GG and others that I might pickup later on.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!