SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Monkey Lad Prototype

Reply to topic
Monkey Lad Prototype
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 am
Hi Guys,

A long while back I posted a question about prototyping SMS games. I thought I'd follow that up with a post about the prototype game that I made for Monkey Lad.

I've attached it to this post. You will need the Love game engine to run it. You can get that here.

https://love2d.org/

To play you will need to rename the file extension from .zip to .love
I can't upload a file with a ".love" file extension. :(

Arrow keys to move and 'a' to jump.

It contains a bit more camera logic than the actual SMS version and some wall jump mechanics that didn't get into the SMS version due to time constraints.

The .love file is just a zip renamed if you want to look inside at the code.

I spent a fair amount of time prototyping the game mechanics for Monkey Lad before writing any actual SMS code. I think for the most part if worked well. I was able to fine tune the game mechanics and experiment quickly with ideas.

I found it quite easy to translate the prototype logic into actual z80 code once I started coding for real.

Has anyone else used a prototype for their SMS work?

Eric
monkey_lad_proto.zip (75.22 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:16 am
Hey Eric,

First of all thank you for writing this post. I didn't know about love2d and I think it looks like pretty slick. Also thanks a bunch for appending your code. I will have a look at it on the weekend.

I don't really do SMS coding, so I cannot join the conversation at this point, but I think it's a good way to test out some constraints, overall feel of a feature and then put it into asm. I can only assume that testing love2d code is somewhat faster than compiling your z80 and run it in an emulator.

Sorry for not providing any valuable insight, but thanks again for sharing your approach!

Cheers,
Philipp
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!