Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Probe Mega SGC Thread

Reply to topic
Probe Mega SGC Thread
Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 pm
I worked on these back at the end of May. I was going to wait until I finished the whole set, but that could be a long time. I've decided I will post as I go along.

I forget exactly how I made these. I believe I used the GG sgc version as a model and changed the functions. I will eventually update these with a more proper version.

Enjoy
Alien3-SMS.zip (8.13 KB)
50hz
SuperSmashTV-SMS.zip (9.07 KB)
50hz

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:59 am
few new ones. These took some time to work on. Finished them some days ago, but I was busy looking at other things. All kind of related though.

I wanted to confirm I could get voice working on SGC (Earlier I was concerned the update function would interfere (it doesn't).

I'm not sure what naming/version conversions should apply to these. I don't consider an SGC completed unless at least sfx are properly accounted for. Some SGCs don't make this trivial, so it wouldn't do as a hard requirement. I think most people don't care anyway, but as an archive of preservation, I think anything from the game should be included.

It isn't actually faster to work with SGC than VGMs. It can be much faster to get the music working in an sgc, but in both cases, you need to verify valid ids. With VGMs you need to confirm their use. In that sense the vgm is the more complete product. But VGMs neglect sfx and voice, so they fall a bit short there. VGMs also make preserving the user experience easier, though since they are quick to make and require no expert knowledge. With an sgc, you need to find the proper code. Fortunately, it's a lot easier with modern tools.

I think moving forward, I will consider three major versions. I might have to adopt some text format similar to vgms. My contribtions in this area are a bit disorganized and lack clarity. That is because success is sometimes a bit more lopsided than in the simpler format.

1.00 Music only
1.10 Music & SFX
1.20 Music & SFX & Voice

Adding Voice is usually a more major undertaking, so it might merit a version 2.00.

I'm not getting a lot of feedback on these, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

As far as this set. I placed the voice table value right after the first song id to simulate how it happens in game. I may return to this and create separate voice only and song>voice>song versions as it appears in game. The game actually loads the second song before playing the voice sample and continuing, so I assume there's a timer somewhere.
I think the code was in the 1FXX area. I'll probably look at it some time in the future.

In case you don't want the voice sample, I have provided BGM-SFX only versions. In the future the one without the labels will be the most up to date version.

Note: Also the SMS version is smaller than the GG versions since I confirmed a large chunk of unused data. I compared the final product to the original and there seemed to be no differences. The sample takes nearly 0x1000 bytes (fills that in practice). I set watchpoints in the area, and nothing ever triggered as expected (no references in music tables to areas past that) but even though there is no breakpoing, when I filled the 00's toward the end with wave data, the music tracks were playing back with jitters. I have no idea why that is, as no watchpoints were triggered, but I ignored that. Also, the BGM-SFX and complete versions differ in what they play back starting with ID 0x34. That Id and higher does nothing in the original game, so it was a lucky issue which reminded me to look into the original for verification in general. Id 3D resets the game.

In order to play back sfx in either version, add the number of sfx to the song total value byte at 0x25. A simple formula in general, if not obvious is 0x25 + (0x27-0x26+0x01). In this case the value in 0x25 is 1 higher for the +voice version.

Now at 1.30?

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!