SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Adjusting Red balance on GG screen

Reply to topic
Adjusting Red balance on GG screen
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 am
Hey everyone,
So I've been creating a sort of definitive (I hope) hack for the GG LED backlight mod using a DS screen. I am going to post a guide soon with my findings and it will include some nifty stuff.

One thing I need help with though, is finding a way to adjust the R,G,B balance on the internal GG screen. The reason is that the LED backlight mod leaves the image a little bit too redish- and this is very slight but it would be nice to fix and have it be 100% like a stock system. I believe the reason for this is that the original backlight cathode tube is slightly blue in its color- I think the GG screen is adjusted to compensate for this and so an LED white screen behind it shows up as a little red. I see no other reason for this since the screen I have now is FAR brighter than an original GG backlight, and this effect occurs with both a DS and DSi LED backlight.

So in short, I am looking to decrease the red signal in the GG screen. However, the signal is digital so I do not know a great way to do this. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

-Segasonicfan
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:21 am
I don't think you can do any per color adjustment.
It is far easier to put a piece of colored cellophane behind the screen.
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:35 pm
Thanks for the reply TmEE. That's too bad, but don't you think it will be difficult to find the *exact* amount of blue to put behind the screen? sounds like I may just have to live with the redish tint :/
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:29 pm
You can draw some semi evenly placed lines or dots on the dispersion layer with some marker, it'll average out into a solid shade if the marker isn't too dark or the markings too close or spread apart. Other option is to use cold tone LEDs rather than warm ones. Good thing is cheapo LEDs tend to turn blue over time, or when you overdrive them a little :P
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:41 am
thats an interesting idea...I actually might try that but using colored pencils and blend them to get the blue shade *just* right. oh man, thats gonna be a little tricky.

Thing is I'm using a DSi screen - replacing the LEDs would be quite difficult. When overdriving them I just get bright spots, heh.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!