Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - BMP2Tile Question

Reply to topic
BMP2Tile Question
Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:14 pm
I love BMP2Tile...but, if I want to have several similar bitmaps and generate tilemaps from them, then I also have a different set of tiles for each map, despite that I might have been able to reuse a lot of the tiles for each map.

Ideally, I'd be able to load say N bitmaps, and have it produce 1 tileset, and N maps. As I can't see a way to do that I've been hacking up a python script that will take N map files, and N tiles files and make a unique set of tiles and rewrite the N maps so that they reference the 1 unique tile set. Does that seem a decent way of doing it?

Or are their other tools I should use?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:25 pm
It's not designed as a tilemap tool. I have some ideas for extending it a bit to allow exporting tilemaps from only part of the image each time, but that isn't as good as a proper editor and a metatile layer.

I'd love to see a tutorial for one of the tilemap tools like Tiled and Mappy. BMP2Tile still has a place in the graphics conversion.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06 am
Given that you can prepare your tiles archive, you can use Mappy or Tiled to build maps. Then you convert the tiles with Maxim's tool and you could roll your own for maps...
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:16 am
Maxim wrote
It's not designed as a tilemap tool. I have some ideas for extending it a bit to allow exporting tilemaps from only part of the image each time, but that isn't as good as a proper editor and a metatile layer.

When I say "tilemap", I don't mean scrolling maps, just a single 32x24 screen. I want to be able to take multiple 256x192 images and create a single set of tiles from them, with each "tilemap" references those tiles. This is what my python script should accomplish when its done. I'll post the script once its finished hopefully you can see what I mean.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:15 am
Is it maybe a little like Bock's 'dictionary' for his KunKun games?

Bock wrote
The idea is that I had a second "map" where each unique 8x8 block represent a collision data. It goes into Bmp2Title to which I gave a giant image composed of multiple screens. The first screens contains my "dictionary", one of each tile in a known order that matches the values in the code. To be honest this is only a workaround for having a competent level editor but it worked quite neatly. In my drawing app I have one visual layer and one collision layer

You can make a mega-image consisting of all your screens, and then have BMP2Tile process the mega image...?

It is discussed here: http://www.smspower.org/forums/14903-BlockQuestTowardsKnightsOfTheRoundForTheSMS#80854
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 am
You can make a mega-image consisting of all your screens, and then have BMP2Tile process the mega image...?

Ah, silly me, I didn't realise it was that easy! Cool.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:51 pm
hang-on wrote

That is actually exactly the way I created the screen layouts for Bruce lee. I stacked all the screens that used the same tileset vertically on top of each other, then converted the image with BMP2Tile. If there were tiles that weren't visible in the default layout (like the open mouth of the pig-cow-statue) I put them in the last row underneath, so they would be included in the tileset. The screens that use the sprite palette for certain tiles needed some thinking around corners to make it work, though.

The logic maps for the individual screens, which contain the information whether tiles are walls, floors, spikes, etc. on the other hand I prepared as individaul files which all shared the same Bock-style dictionary in the first row.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 pm
Kagesan wrote

The logic maps for the individual screens, which contain the information whether tiles are walls, floors, spikes, etc. on the other hand I prepared as individaul files which all shared the same Bock-style dictionary in the first row.

The collision maps are cool, haven't made anything complicated enough to need them yet but I can see how that would work. I'm working on porting the arcade version of Burgertime as a follow up to Bloki, but I haven't used maps so far, instead planned to use a linked-list like structure of platforms and ladders, of course burgertime is a lot simpler because its just horizontal platforms linked by vertical ladders.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!