Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game of Thrones PSG Cover.

Reply to topic
Game of Thrones PSG Cover.
Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:59 am
I just did these 2 Game of Thrones PSG covers.
They are the main theme song (the opening of the show) and the Rains of Castamere (red wedding song).

You can listen and download for free here:
https://tibone.bandcamp.com/album/game-of-thrones-psg-cover

These are hardware recordings, from my SMS 1. (There's a bit of hum, that i couldn't get rid off, without affecting the sound).

The VGMs and a SMS demo ROM to play the songs on the real hardware are available on my github:
http://www.github.com/jflores82/got-sms

Feel free to laugh at my attempt to make such orchestral tune works on 4 channels. :)

It was fun working on it.
Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:34 pm
Very nice. The first theme is particularly recognizable. Those long notes at the end sound a bit sparse though. Is this the full version? The version I remember doesn't have that last section.

These are much better than many themes that made it into retail games, so I don't think there's much to criticize here :)

One question. Was there shaping of the timbre of the tones? It looks like there might have been, a little. While I was listening, I was wondering if having the timbre change through the sections a bit more conspicuously might improve the dramatic impact or what it would sound like with FM instruments. I don't know much about working with either element, so I can't offer specific suggestions.

Thanks for sharing. Good job.
Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:57 am
Thanks for listening.

The first theme is the opening, and plays in every episode, so it is the most recognizable one. But i really like Rains of Castamere aswell, i think it is a cool song, and it plays during the Red Wedding.

About the ending, i transcribed the notes from the choir, so it is a bit different from the original, which has the repeating bass riff with a very low volume, but that part doesn't sound very nice in the PSG, so i decided to use the choir parts instead.

About the timbres. There was no off hardware shaping. But i changed the levels of vibrato and delay depending on the part being played. But not a lot, i tried to be very subtle on the changes.

About an FM version, i don't have an FM enabled system to record from, so i don't really want to get too much into it. :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!