SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - YM2413

Reply to topic
Dave
YM2413
Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:08 am

I'm adding in FM sound to Dega at the moment (just have to add all the new options, Japanese/World/FM Detect/FM Mix/PSG Mix etc it into the menus and check it's okay with the author) using the "EMU2413" core at http://www.angel.ne.jp/~okazaki/ym2413/

I'm finding that explosions (e.g. After Burner) don't sound very good (just a constant hiss sound), but having never heard the original FM sound, I don't know if they are meant to sound not very good... :) Does anyone have any mp3s of a real Mark III making explosion-type noises?
Also an mp3 where PSG and FM are used together would be really useful to get my volume mixing roughly right (Wonderboy 3 with sound effects?).

Sadly I can't use Meka to compare, because my sound card distorts the OPL3 signals and makes random sounds :(

I remember ages ago (1-2 years?) Zoop posted some mp3s of the Phantasy Star Menu and Dungeon music, but they might have been from Meka. (I remember him saying something like "These are from Meka, but the actual Mark III doesn't sound too different".) Anyway, I was totally amazed that PS could sound like that and so I treasured those mp3s.... and now apparently have lost them! Nooooooooo!

Oh one more thing... has anyone hacked together the Japanese and UE roms for Phantasy Star to make an English version with FM sound somehow?

Thank you in advance!!!

Dave
Knew I'd forgotten something...
Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:10 am
>
> I'm adding in FM sound to Dega at the moment (just have to add all the new options, Japanese/World/FM Detect/FM Mix/PSG Mix etc it into the menus and check it's okay with the author) using the "EMU2413" core at http://www.angel.ne.jp/~okazaki/ym2413/

> I'm finding that explosions (e.g. After Burner) don't sound very good (just a constant hiss sound), but having never heard the original FM sound, I don't know if they are meant to sound not very good... :) Does anyone have any mp3s of a real Mark III making explosion-type noises?
> Also an mp3 where PSG and FM are used together would be really useful to get my volume mixing roughly right (Wonderboy 3 with sound effects?).

> Sadly I can't use Meka to compare, because my sound card distorts the OPL3 signals and makes random sounds :(

> I remember ages ago (1-2 years?) Zoop posted some mp3s of the Phantasy Star Menu and Dungeon music, but they might have been from Meka. (I remember him saying something like "These are from Meka, but the actual Mark III doesn't sound too different".) Anyway, I was totally amazed that PS could sound like that and so I treasured those mp3s.... and now apparently have lost them! Nooooooooo!

> Oh one more thing... has anyone hacked together the Japanese and UE roms for Phantasy Star to make an English version with FM sound somehow?

Knew I'd forgotten to ask something...
What speed are Japanese Mark III machines? 60hz NTSC or 50hz PAL?
Thanks!

• Site Admin
Re: Knew I'd forgotten something...
Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 12:14 pm
> > I'm finding that explosions (e.g. After Burner) don't sound very good (just a constant hiss sound), but having never heard the original FM sound, I don't know if they are meant to sound not very good... :)

> > Sadly I can't use Meka to compare, because my sound card distorts the OPL3 signals and makes random sounds :(

:( fiddling with the FM speed setting in meks.cfg might help but I doubt it.

Assuming the YM2413 to OPL translation is reasonably faithful (my soundcard has a genuine Yamaha synth chip, maybe that helps), the explosions in After Burner are pretty lame in FM, mainly because the noise is more of a hiss (because square waves make harsher noise than sine-wave FM). It's not constant though. I can't record it for you, my sound card can't sample the FM output.

> > Oh one more thing... has anyone hacked together the Japanese and UE roms for Phantasy Star to make an English version with FM sound somehow?

No. Other hacks to enable FM are easy (two bytes mostly) because the FM code is all left in. It's possible they deleted it from the export version of PS because they needed the rom space. Your best bet is to wait hopefully for the translation, which will of course be a hack of the Japanese rom and will also be more faithful to the original. I don't know how it's going, but last I heard it's still progressing very slowly, mainly because it isn't being done by one of the big translation groups.

> Knew I'd forgotten to ask something...
> What speed are Japanese Mark III machines? 60hz NTSC or 50hz PAL?

60Hz NTSC.

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!