SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - ROM mirrors

Reply to topic
ROM mirrors
Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:28 pm
Last edited by Tom on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
hey Bock/Maxim, can you tell me how big is the complete rom collection?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:42 pm
SMS Power releases or all SMS/GG/SG/SC roms? Somewhere around 500-600MB for the latter, I think; nearer to 80MB for SMS Power releases.
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:16 pm
Last edited by Tom on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
oh ok.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:39 pm
I vastly overestimated the first one - including all the bad ones nobody should want, there's about 250MB total; the 80MB for SMS Power releases was accurate.

You are welcome to mirror only the recent releases if you want. 10MB would easily hold 50 roms.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:29 pm
We already have open mirrors for you to download the individual ZIP files.
Offering ROM for download isn't legal, period. In practice, the worse you can expect is getting your hosting account shut down, but it may just stay around forever with no trouble as well.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:13 pm
Existing mirrors have the right files. The ones on the right are usually more up-to-date.
  • Site Admin
possible torrent rom mirror?
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:44 pm
what about torrents? we have alot of members here and the roms are not very big, maybe we could possibly set up a torrent list so if there is something specific a person is looking for they can get it that way. if we have 5 or 6 seeders it should not take much time at all. aside from my self, does anyone have an extra pc and bandwith they are willing to put towards torrents? maybe we could have a private tracker to prohibit leechers?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:53 am
For this kind of thing (incremental releases) torrents don't work very well - either you need one for each file (torrents don't do much of their bittorrent magic with small files, and one person trying to seed 900 torrents might not work well) or you need to somehow have the torrents update every time a new file is added. Existing RSS torrent support is nearly there, but as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to (1) have the RSS-published updated torrent override the old one, (2) make it friendly to people whose torrent file is out of date, and (3) handle things like file renaming.

Compare to how OverClocked ReMix does its torrent releases: it just packages up large groups of releases (which have fixed naming) whenever there's a large amount to distribute; the latest files are always only available over the web.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:03 pm
I guess I donot know enough about it then. I was under the impression that if we had a compiled list of roms(which would be updated as needed) you could just download the current ones out of the list rather than the entire package. I have been using www.underground-gamer.com for awile and that is how they have it set up. Provided you are using a Torrent client like Azureus or something.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 am
You can choose to download only selected files from multiple-file torrents - since the torrent client can specify which chunks it wants. When the files are small, it's somewhat wasteful of data as requested chunks will contain parts of other files.

The main problem is getting the file list updated cleanly; it works better if the files you are distributing are a fixed set of fixed filenames.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:21 pm
Maxim wrote
You can choose to download only selected files from multiple-file torrents - since the torrent client can specify which chunks it wants. When the files are small, it's somewhat wasteful of data as requested chunks will contain parts of other files.

Well, that makes sense. Now I understand it much better. Thanks Maxim.
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:14 am
Sorry to bump this topic, but in the near future I am thinking of making an Australian ROM mirror, the servers are located in Brisbane so speeds should quite fast for out aussie users, but is the demand here for another rom mirror? also it will only have SMSPower releases on it.

Thanks All
Scott
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:11 am
It might be nice to mark the mirrors with country codes so people can try to choose the one closest to them, although of course that only helps if the mirrors are kept up-to-date. Regardless, more mirrors is always good.
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:32 pm
[obvious]
My mirror is located in italy
[/obvious]

And yeah, it has ALL the roms released by smspower. At least, all the ones I could download from the protected page (there were broken links). As I write on that page: "Currently hosting 369 roms (52343073 bytes)"
My site is down for now.
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:20 pm
Sorry guys, but the MJCx.com website is down. I had a HUGE problem with my host and closed it down. I still own the .com though and have everything backed up, so I plan to get everything up soon.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am
Sorry for the bump, but I have to report something about my mirror.

Basically, the webspace I use adds ads and nasty code to all the .html and .htm pages uploaded there, which is why I mainly use it only as a storage and I rarely upload actual html pages on there; when I do, I usually save them as .php (even though they're plain html) to trick their system, and this worked until these days, but apparently they figured it out, because as of now the page of my mirror is being rendered as text and not as html. And no, I can't change the MIME types either, that's a very basic free webspace with no additional features whatsoever, I'm only using it because I still have it from the days I created a website (now closed) for a volleyball team.

So, yeah. I won't rename the page to .html because I'd feel bad to fill your computers with ads; if viewers are willing enough they can still figure out the links by looking at the raw html code.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 pm
Check this: https://www.box.com/hdvirtualmastersystem
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!