Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Ninja Princess (SG-1000) question

Reply to topic
Ninja Princess (SG-1000) question
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:04 am
I'm working on a rough translation/title screen hack of Ninja Princess for the SG-1000, and have a question about the game over screen...

EDIT: Aha, I answered my own question. What I'd misread as "owai" was actually "owari" or おわリ, which is the equivalent of "game over", right? I was thrown by the fact that it mixes hiragana and katakana.

Well, here's a different question, then: could someone translate the kanji that appear on the map screen? An image is attached.

I've also attached a screenshot of my crappy title screen hack. Nothing great, but it's a start.

BTW does this game have an ending? I played through all 12 "steps" just now (with the help of an emulator) and after I beat the boss, it just looped me back to the start. However if you let the attract mode run for awhile, it eventually shows a stage full of dark red cylinders, so I assume I missed something along the way.

EDIT #2: Aha, and here's the way to Step 13!
ninja_princess2.png (4.43 KB)
ninja_princess2.png
ninja_princess1.png (10.17 KB)
ninja_princess1.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 am
The characters are:

寒天城下絵図

寒天 ~ freezing weather
城下 ~ land near the catle
絵図 ~ illustration, drawing
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:20 am
Bock wrote
The characters are:

寒天城下絵図

寒天 ~ freezing weather
城下 ~ land near the catle

Thanks, Bock. Very interesting, though -- I wonder what "freezing weather" has to do with it?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to duplicate the Youtube guy's feat of unlocking the true ending by getting all five red scrolls, but I'm totally bewildered by 03:43. As soon as the level starts he shoots straight up, immediately killing the white ninja, and the red scroll just appears. Yet when I try to do the same thing, nothing happens. Anyone know the secret?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:23 am
goldenband wrote
Bock wrote
The characters are:

寒天城下絵図

寒天 ~ freezing weather
城下 ~ land near the catle

Thanks, Bock. Very interesting, though -- I wonder what "freezing weather" has to do with it?

I am not sure of the exact meaning, there might be a reference to something, someone more versed in Japanese may be able to tell.

I haven't reach that far in the game to help tho :)
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 am
Aha, I got it: you have to get a perfect score in Step 3, i.e. not missing a single shot. Then the red scroll will appear at the start of Step 4. Tricky!

I appreciate your help, Bock. If all goes well I'll have a couple more screenshots to post soon, one with the instructions to access the secret final level, and the other with the ending itself. I think that's it for Japanese text in the game.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:58 am
OK, finally beat it! Here are screenshots of the hint you get after retrieving all five scrolls, and then the game's ending (which is rather abrupt -- no warm and triumphant music for Kurumi-hime).

I don't know what the ending text is, but I'm guessing the hint is something like "Use ninjitsu three times to the right of the statue in Step 9, then shoot the statue from below to open a secret stairwell."
ninja_princess3.png (10.74 KB)
ninja_princess3.png

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:24 am
OK, after a quick consult with my Japanese neighbors, I've finished this one up. They were bemused by the kanji in the map screen, which apparently translate as "agar" (the foodstuff!) when taken together -- they pulled out a bag of agar to show me. I asked if something like "The Path to Castle Agar" would be a viable translation, and they seemed to think so, so here it is. I stuck to the top half of the text area as I didn't feel like dealing with the fact that part of one of the kanji only uses the center tile portion of the graphic area.

I've also translated the two screens of text that appear in the game -- the hint screen when you get all five scrolls, and the rather desultory ending. Unfortunately, these use a vertical text display routine, and I simply don't have the expertise to change that. In the original, there are accent markings in the whitespace between columns, but not all the whitespace consists of blank tiles, i.e. there's some sort of X/Y placement routine that I don't know how to change.

Anyway, it's neither an elegant nor polished translation, but it's what I'm able to do. If anyone wants to improve this translation by modifying the text display routine mentioned above, or by improving on my graphics for the title screen (which has a bit of colorclash) and map screen, be my guest. The ending text starts at 0x136B, and the hint text starts around 0x1D37; both start with the righthand column.

Otherwise, enjoy! I'll probably submit an IPS patch to romhacking.net at some point soon, unless someone finds a bug.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:11 pm
You can submit it for http://www.smspower.org/Translations if you like.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:55 am
Sure, that'd be great. I've attached IPS patches for Chack'n Pop and Ninja Princess in a .zip file. Is there a submission form somewhere on the site, or is it all done manually?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am
I've added pages here:

http://www.smspower.org/Translations/ChacknPop-SG-EN
http://www.smspower.org/Translations/NinjaPrincess-SG-EN

...which you are free to edit (I left the "release group" blank) and add screenshots to.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:25 pm
Looks great, thanks so much!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:41 pm
This is finally up on romhacking.net:

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1586/
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!