Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 32K SMS Cartridge with ZIF socket

Reply to topic
32K SMS Cartridge with ZIF socket
Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20 pm
Here is a board I made yesterday, for basic 32K (256k) EPROMs.

Better than a modified cartridge as you can get a ZIF socket in which clears the top of the console. (hence the extra height)

Probably useful for homebrew more than anything else but in any case I thought I'd post here in case someone can get some use out of it!

Has a DIP switch to allow swapping Pin 1 and Pin 27 from either Vcc or A14 line.

Most 256k EPROMs I saw had a pinout of one or the other. Some were even more different which would have required a much more complex design so I decided to stick with support for what appears to be the two most common variants.

The DIP switch could be replaced with jumpers if you were only ever going to be using one type.

The board can be made at home fairly easily. It's double-sided but otherwise it should not present too much of a challenge. The files were created with KiCAD

Vias are made with wire soldered on both sides - no plated through-holes and the larger copper areas were optimised for the negative UV process I used.

Capacitors values are the same as those used from an official cartridge (47uF and 0.022uF). I added a power LED for some reason but this is of course optional.
IMG_4803.jpg (439.63 KB)
IMG_4803.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg (442.69 KB)
IMG_4804.jpg
IMG_4805.jpg (433.86 KB)
IMG_4805.jpg
32KSMSCART_REV_D.zip (76.59 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 pm
Really cool. I really need to stop being lazy and build something like this someday.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 pm
If enough people were interested in this, I could always get some boards made.

(I expect not everyone wants to go to the trouble of making a PCB themselves, too)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!